Faster Fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So... As mentioned on another thread, I put a freewheel on the flip of the flip-flop of my fixie to tempt my middle child into riding it.

So far it's failed, but I've been using it myself with the freewheel single-speed.

It is odd. The freewheel is 50/18, geared slightly higher than the fixed side (50/20). The tyres are 700c x 23.

1. It seems broadly similar to ride, although I'm slightly surprised that at higher cadences (130+), I get a slight slap on the chain occasionally as my left foot comes over the top.

This is what I hear when very young children are cycling - and suggests that I'm not making very good 'circles' with my feet. I'm too old to worry about that, but I was surprised to hear it.

I don't get it on my geared bike, but then I don't pedal on the flat at 130rpm on it... I thought my pedalling was rather better than that.

Also... I can descend fixed at 168-170rpm. It is a task and a half, but I can do it.

Riding with a freewheel, I can't really turn the pedals to any effect above 140rpm (usually less), so even with the higher gearing, I descend slower under power on single-speed than fixed.

Of course, on a really steep drop I can just tuck in an glide, but with the crank rotating, fixed spins far faster. Again, this is a function of my relative clumsiness on the bike, but it surprised me nonetheless.

Anyone else have this, or are you all Gods of Cycling?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Boris it does take some getting use to , must admit i cant reach the cadence you quote , and i normally settle for a nice steady speed rather than helicopter legs .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fixed is best - simple. Fixed does improve pedalling, so long as you don't get lazy by allowing the gyro effect to bring you through the dead spot to much. Pedal in 360 !

PS can't do 160 RPM - 150 is about the point I need a fire extinguisher.:laugh:

Top Bottom