Faster Singlespeed than Geared?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SS Retro

I have just treated myself to a Campag equipped Cinelli my first geared bike in 20 years. Over the last 2 days I have done 65miles over a couple of routes I regularly use on my single speed running 48x19 gearing.

The Cinelli is lighter than my Singlespeed and a fair bit more responsive when you jump up on the pedals you can feel it really putting the power down.

The thing is my average speed over the 2 undulating routes is around 2mph slower on the Cinelli and I have a dull ache in the thighs which I put down to them spinning at different loadings there not used too?

I ride for pleasure around 60 miles a week.

tyred

Legendary Member
You probably need time to learn how to make the best use of your gears but if your gearing on the SS is correct for your ability and terrain, it probably will be just as quick anyway.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'm faster on fixed or single on my regular ride to work than on any of my geared bikes. I think it's because the single speed is really just that: ride it too fast and I'm twiddling uncomfortably; ride it too slow and I feel like I'm going to stall. So I ride at a more or less constant speed, regardless of slight slopes or headwinds.

On gears, if there's a slope or a headwind, I go at constant effort - back down a gear and carry on with the same amount of sweat, just a lower speed.

Could be the same for you?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Perhaps the single speed is encouraging you to cycle at the appropriate gear but when you have multiple gear options you are taking the easy route out and dropping a gear too much.
I would agree with that, that's what I do hence why most of my miles are done fixed.

OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

You probably need time to learn how to make the best use of your gears .
Yes for sure I was up and down a lot of the time on the first outing but a little more settled on the second.

Perhaps the single speed is encouraging you to cycle at the appropriate gear but when you have multiple gear options you are taking the easy route out and dropping a gear too much.
Again yes, I was convinced I was slower on the climbs.

I would agree with that, that's what I do hence why most of my miles are done fixed.
Pedals back on the single speed for the rest of winter!

Is your new bike fitted correctly, are you using the same device to track your avg speed?
Yes full afternoon with tape measure, carbon head spacers, stem,and vernier gauge. Ok not professional bike fit but I have it within a millimetre tolerances of my current bike set up. Same cateye strada just transferred over on a second bike kit.

Thanks guys most enlightening so far. Just need some dry roads so I can really try it out, till then one gear all the way!

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom