Faster tires for a hybrid bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kovacsa

Hi, Does anyone have experience with Continental "Contact" or "RIDE" style of tires? I currently have the Cross King CX 32mm on a 700C rim on a hybrid bike. https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tires/cross-tires/cross-king-cx

I'd like to get faster tires if possible. The idea is to lose the knobs and have the tires more narrow, to get the speed. I'd still like tires that perform well on small gravel, dirt and perhaps softer surfaces as well. Comfort is important too.

I'm likely looking at a 28mm tires based on what's available from Continental's and what I've heard about 28mm tires in general.

Does anyone have recommendations on a City/Trekking tire that might meet my needs? https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tires I'm also open to other brands and suggestions, thanks!

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I changed the 32mm 'gravel' tyres on my wife's hybrid for a set of 28mm Schwalbe Duranos. She reported a vast improvement in ease of progress. They have held up well in all conditions, on and off road.

CXRAndy

Guru
The best tyre I have used for all round capable use is the Schwalbe G One either 35/38 mm

I have used these(38mm)f club runs where I ave 19 mph over 70 miles, ave 21mph solo 10 miles and 17 mph over 100 miles solo. They will go off road too with their fine dimple surface. You can run low pressure, I use 48-50psi

You can use tubeless or with tube, but are better feel tubeless

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Vitoria Voyager Hypers in either 35c or if they'll fit, 38c.
Technically slick tyres but you'll find that most slick tyres perform perfectly well on off road surfaces bar deep mud/deep gravel.
The Hypers advantage is that whilst they have a thin carcass to keep the weight down which also makes them supremely supple, they're pretty tough.
Wish I had 700c wheels to run them on.

Sharky

Guru
I have used contacts on my winter bike for a few years now and quite like them. I did ride marathons for a while, but found them a little heavy and I experienced problems with the marathon side walls giving way, although the tread was fine.

Both of the above were in 28mm's and what I call my "tractor" tyres after riding 20mm - 23mm on my other bikes.

I ride exclusively on roads, but the state of some of our back roads have pot holes, grit, and mud etc and the contacts perform well on these surfaces - but no good on black ice as I learned the hard way.

T675Rich

Vitoria Voyager Hypers in either 35c or if they'll fit, 38c.
Technically slick tyres but you'll find that most slick tyres perform perfectly well on off road surfaces bar deep mud/deep gravel.
The Hypers advantage is that whilst they have a thin carcass to keep the weight down which also makes them supremely supple, they're pretty tough.
Wish I had 700c wheels to run them on.

I was looking at them recently after you recommended them in a thread I made and I think they may be being phased out. The link you gave then (https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre) has them but only in brown and they don't appear to be available elsewhere.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Check out the Schwalbe G-One Speed, these are slick very fast road tyres that you can get up to a 38c (40-622) For more grip go for the G-One Allround gravel tyre, also fast rolling on the road and available up to 38c.

T675Rich

Other than the obvious what are the differences between wired and foldable tyres? I see that the wired tyres tend to be cheaper, are they generally lower quality and are they much harder to get on and off?

Top Bottom