Fat blokes in Lycra

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by MarcBC, 25 Jun 2008.

1. MarcBC

MarcBC New Member

Okay, I am a "very well padded" 46 yr old man getting back into cycling (Scott MTB) after 25 years (What? Tyres have air in them now? ;) ).

I have been using padded lycra shorts and am very comfortable with them. My wife, however, thinks they look awful with a baggy top (needed to hide the man cans!) and thinks I should get some of those new fangled baggy ones. I think they look wrong on a man of my age.

Any views? (I will do my own thing anyway but am interested in others thoughts)

2. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

whatever makes you comfortable is good

you can get loose fit cycle tops, I wore them for a long time until I felt honed enough for the tight cut tops which work better in the warmer weather

3. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

If they are comfortable then why change. I wear lycra shorts, I do not have the figure of Kate Moss and I do not care what others think as they are comfortable. Tell you wife to butt ;) out

4. punkypossum

punkypossum Donut Devil

Or just wear a normal pair of baggies over the lycra to try it out and see how you feel...Personally, I think baggies look fine at any age and they do go better with a mountain bike...

5. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

wear what you like....it's your bike

6. Wear a pair of lightweight regular shorts over your Lycra. I'm a big fan of Lycra but you just can't wear it with a beer belly. I know this to be a fact.

7. k-dog

k-dog New Member

Most of you are missing the point - lycra shorts do look silly with a baggy top.

2 choices - either a new top - which, if you choose the right one, can look flattering - and will certainly look better with lycra shorts. Or, baggy padded shorts to go with the baggy top.

8. numbnuts

numbnuts Legendary Member

since when!!!
    wear what you like and to hell what people think;)

9. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Veteran

Dude at our age we shouldn't care what people think. :rolleyes:

10. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

+1 (apart from socks and sandals :rolleyes:)

11. Young Un

Young Un New Member

im 13 and got some extra padding aswell, but thats being sorted:biggrin:

but i too will probs be wearing lycra short on a road bike, but i am gonna go into sportsworld and just get a cheapy pair of black baggy sport short things to go over them.

12. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

13. stoatsngroats

stoatsngroats Veteran

baggies over lycra when off-road, and lycra and short sleeve tight fit shirt for on-road for me....Like the man says..wear what YOU like..

14. OP
    OP
    MarcBC

MarcBC New Member

As I said in my first post, I will do my own thing. It is good however to read the different views.

Thanks guys

15. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

the quicker you ride the better your cycle wear looks and feels

cane everyone's arse and you can wear what you like and look good

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice