Fat blokes in Lycra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarcBC

Okay, I am a "very well padded" 46 yr old man getting back into cycling (Scott MTB) after 25 years (What? Tyres have air in them now? ;) ).

I have been using padded lycra shorts and am very comfortable with them. My wife, however, thinks they look awful with a baggy top (needed to hide the man cans!) and thinks I should get some of those new fangled baggy ones. I think they look wrong on a man of my age.

Any views? (I will do my own thing anyway but am interested in others thoughts)

Tynan

Veteran
whatever makes you comfortable is good

you can get loose fit cycle tops, I wore them for a long time until I felt honed enough for the tight cut tops which work better in the warmer weather

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
MarcBC said:
Okay, I am a "very well padded" 46 yr old man getting back into cycling (Scott MTB) after 25 years (What? Tyres have air in them now? ;) ).

I have been using padded lycra shorts and am very comfortable with them. My wife, however, thinks they look awful with a baggy top (needed to hide the man cans!) and thinks I should get some of those new fangled baggy ones. I think they look wrong on a man of my age.

Any views? (I will do my own thing anyway but am interested in others thoughts)

If they are comfortable then why change. I wear lycra shorts, I do not have the figure of Kate Moss and I do not care what others think as they are comfortable. Tell you wife to butt ;) out

k-dog

Most of you are missing the point - lycra shorts do look silly with a baggy top.

2 choices - either a new top - which, if you choose the right one, can look flattering - and will certainly look better with lycra shorts. Or, baggy padded shorts to go with the baggy top.

ChrisKH

Guru
Dude at our age we shouldn't care what people think. :rolleyes:

Young Un

im 13 and got some extra padding aswell, but thats being sorted:biggrin:

but i too will probs be wearing lycra short on a road bike, but i am gonna go into sportsworld and just get a cheapy pair of black baggy sport short things to go over them.

Tynan

Veteran
the quicker you ride the better your cycle wear looks and feels

cane everyone's arse and you can wear what you like and look good

Top Bottom