Hybrid saddle height in relation to handlebar height.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Devonhills

Regular
As I look for the right set up in my new bike I’d like some advice on how high the saddle should be in relation to the handlebar height.
I thought that for a comfortable position that doesn’t completely compromise performance on a hybrid the saddle should be around level or lower than the handlebars.
I’ve tried a couple bikes but I think once I correctly set the saddle height it will be above the handlebars. Maybe considerably so. This will give a sportier position I suppose and might feel ok or excellent on a test ride but I’d be worried about regretting it later.
Is this common in hybrids now or should I continue to look for a bike with different geometry?
I’ll be using it mainly as a fitness bike, bit of commuting etc.
Any thoughts or advice on what I should be looking for in this aspect or how other people set their bikes up would be great.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Saddle position is set in relation to the pedals, not the bars. Handlebar position can be adjusted using the spacers or by changing the stem for a differently angled one. Many stems are angled so that they can be flipped for a higher or lower position.

Sharky

Guru
Do you have a drop bar road bike as well?
I would start with the bars in a similar position to the straight part of the drop bars, relative to the BB/Saddle.

OP
OP
D

Devonhills

Regular
No. I have a mountain bike that must be well over 30 years old. Set seat height first. I then fitted a long adjustable stem to bring the handlebars above the height of the saddle. This gave me a comfortable riding position.
The spacers don’t give a great deal of height adjustment and I’d like to buy a bike that fits without changing stems right away if possible.
I’d be interested to hear where others have found a sweet spot for their handlebar height on a flat bar to put them in a comfortable position.
Is it the trend of modern hybrids to have this geometry or are there a range of good choices out there.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't think you'll get many cyclists wanting the handlebar height above that if the saddle so you're unlikely to hybrids coming that way being offered.
Obviously you like a 'sit up and beg' kind of position. Sounds a bit odd to me but chacun a son gout as they say. If you wanted to achieve this another way you could change the bars to higher ones.
Could you post a pic of your bike with this arrangement?

OP
OP
D

Devonhills

Regular
It’s not so much about emulating my current set up. I was kindly given that bike by a family member about four years ago. Went straight on a decent ride. Woke up with a crippled neck! Hence raising the bars. I’m sure it’s sub optimal so I was wondering if there was a consensus on what gives a sensible, comfortable riding position on flat bars. Saddle level with bars, a bit above, well above?
I know there are other variables but it will all help with deciding on a purchase of what should be a better bike and set up.

presta

Guru
I doubt you will find a mountain bike that will give you the bar height you're looking for, if you want an MTB I think you'll end up with either an extender or fitting a new fork with a longer steerer. Alternatively, opt for a bike designed for a more upright ride.

OP
OP
D

Devonhills

Regular
I’m looking at hybrids. Just trying to see if there’s any consensus on handlebar height in relation to saddle height. This will help me when I look at the myriad of new bikes that are out there.
Not even looked at buying a bike for years. My current set up is undoubtedly sub optimal which is why I didn’t mention it in my original post.

Jameshow

Veteran
I’m looking at hybrids. Just trying to see if there’s any consensus on handlebar height in relation to saddle height. This will help me when I look at the myriad of new bikes that are out there.
Not even looked at buying a bike for years. My current set up is undoubtedly sub optimal which is why I didn’t mention it in my original post.

Hybrids vary so much from flat bar road bikes to sit up and beg Dutch style bikes.

I would try it at level with the saddle and see how you get on. If you've ridden a few bikes you'll know soon enough so carry an Allen key for adjusting on the go ...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The young lads down here favour this low seat/high bar configuration on their bikes. You can't see the bars very clearly but they are cowhorn type with a bar across and set vey high and long stem.

PXL_20240204_143135649.jpg
Nothing to do with comfort though.😉.

Top Bottom