Fat blokes in Lycra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moonlight

I have a body like Kate Moss and wear lycra, works great! some of my more homophobic friends have forbidden me to wear lycra near them though in a vain attempt to retain dignity, they stand no chance.

To the point, wear what works the best. And remember, the more lycra you wear the more you look like you know what your doing ;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I started off without Lycra shorts, but was delighted when I did eventually try them. They're just soooo comfortable and don't start bunching or chafing anywhere when you start sweating / get wet in the rain.

I'm over 15st and I really couldn't give a stuff what anyone else says or thinks. They're not riding the bike - I am !

I naturally sweat a lot, so Lycra is ideal for comfort and wicking.

I like my Lycra shorts, dhb XXL, but feel pretty silly wearing them on the train, so when I'm training it to work I wear jeans for the 1.5mile cycle each end, but they are M&S "comfort fit" jeans (44" waist) with lycra so perhaps they count..... or maybe not, the occasions when I do a unplanned long commute home and don't have the shorts with me, they are far from a "comfort fit" after a few miles, lol.

Anyway I'd like some baggy shorts but have yet to find any that fit this 49yo, 6'1", 22st lard ass, I reckon 44"+ as a minimum waist size, so any reccomendations?

Also, bib shorts/longs, I did buy a pair of dhb XXL bib longs for winter but found the top such a tight fit I had trouble standing up straight!..... Any suggestions there too?

Angus

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
angusde said:
I like my Lycra shorts, dhb XXL, but feel pretty silly wearing them on the train, so when I'm training it to work I wear jeans for the 1.5mile cycle each end, but they are M&S "comfort fit" jeans (44" waist) with lycra so perhaps they count..... or maybe not, the occasions when I do a unplanned long commute home and don't have the shorts with me, they are far from a "comfort fit" after a few miles, lol.

Anyway I'd like some baggy shorts but have yet to find any that fit this 49yo, 6'1", 22st lard ass, I reckon 44"+ as a minimum waist size, so any reccomendations?

Also, bib shorts/longs, I did buy a pair of dhb XXL bib longs for winter but found the top such a tight fit I had trouble standing up straight!..... Any suggestions there too?

Angus

You could always cut the straps and get someone to sew in some extensions. You obviously have a long back. Mind you, my dHb longs feel tight when I first put them on after a wash and stand up straight. The straps them 'relax' a bit after a minute and all's well.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Moonlight said:
And remember, the more lycra you wear the more you look like you know what your doing :biggrin:

Unless you go for the complete team strip, including all the accessories and then get passed by a hack in a pair of trackies and trainers :smile: In which case, you look a fool.

I prefer lycra as it is more comfortable. I may not have the dangly bits to hide but sometimes the padded shorts can give an exaggerated camel toe effect :biggrin: off the bike. I tend NOT to wander round Morrisons in them.....

Like others have said - wear what you feel comfortable in and take no notice what others think/say.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Lycra shorts under baggyish ones, tightish shortsleeved jersey with arm warmers as required on top.

Suits me fine, seems to be the right amount of usefulness blended with some dignity. :biggrin:

Blonde

Most men look great in lycra IMO. Even if you are supposedly 'middle age and not thin' if you cycle, trust me, you'll look a lot more athletic than your average non-cycling bloke pretty quickly, whatever your build or weight. I like proper cycling kit - I think it is actually really flattering to any shape if it is well designed and cut nicely. If you don't want a 'tight' jersey either get a MTB style jersey (they are still sort of fitted so they don't flap around too much, but not as tight as road ones), or you could simply buy a road jersey in a size larger than you are.

angusde said:

Angus

Check this out Angus - I'm not exactly twig like (getting there though :tongue: ) and this American place does all sorts of big bigger biggest. Worth a 'punt' - delivery was quicksmart. :angry:

JohnRedcoRn

to be honest, the clothing was one of the main things putting me off cycling (i'm not 'jerry springer show' big but certainly got too much belly and man breasts)...however, i took the advice of a friend who told me to simply not give a crap and that i'd be glad of the comfort etc...and at worst i might feel like a tw*t but i'll be safe (visible etc). he was right, because once i got over the initial self conscious thing i felt really good, and of course i can only get fitter (or at least not get any fatter !)
i do prefer baggy / looser kit but thats just taste... i wear the tight stuff too.

wafflycat

Don't give a toss about what ayone else thinks. If some smart arse starts going on about you being fat in a derisory manner, point out that so what, at least you're exercising, and whilst you can become more trim, they'll always be personality deficient....

Top Bottom