Fat Dad - Which bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snowy

I am looking at a five mile commute along the A5 every morning as a starting block to losing some weight. I am 6'02 and 18 stone and relatively fit, despite the heaviness

I know there have been other posts around weight to bike advice but my problem is that we are expecting our first baby (hence the weight loss) in September and therefore funds are somewhat low (£400 tops)

Is there a realistic prospect of buying a suitable bike with my measurements with the mind to go on further than just the commute once I drop some timber.

Thanks

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I ride a road bike and MTB, Im 21 stone, I first rode my Ribble when I was 23 stone, as long as your wheels have at least 36 spokes you should be fine.

ASC1951

Guru
Snowy said:
funds are somewhat low (£400 tops)

Is there a realistic prospect of buying a suitable bike?
At that price you will have a wide choice of excellent quality second hand bikes. With new bikes you will be at the lower boundary of decent bikes i.e. you might pick up just what you need from the Reduced Shelf, but most will have compromises.

Personally I would go s/h. It's environmentally better, you will get a better bike and you will learn more about it. OTOH it might take a while to get just what you want.

Don't forget to look at Classifieds on here.

jimboalee

S/H bikes for tall guys seem to be more available than S/H bikes for short guys.

I have the perfect commute bike in my shed ( getting in the way ), but it is a 21 1/2" frame.

MrMonster

First of all, congratulations on having a new family member!

Not half as knowledgable as people on here, but since i've joined they've been extremely helpful, so you will be able to get what you want when you come here. For second hand, take a look at the For Sale forum on here, might be something in there. Best of luck!

I can't help with the bike recommendation, but I can say welcome! :smile:

I started cycling just after my first child. Otherwise I would have had to buy a second car! I've never looked back, and despite my videos, I absolutely love cycle commuting. Good luck with it, and enjoy! :smile:

ASC1951

Guru
Snowy, this might suit you https://www.cyclechat.net/

I say 'might' because -
- I ride much smaller frames myself, so I'm not sure of fit
- it's a cyclocross bike, but maybe you like a tough steed for commuting.

I have an 853 Dolan in the stable and it's a nice bike. Some people find the top tubes a bit short.

Top Bottom