Fat lady on an electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Thank you rest assured you are quite slim compared to my 5'4 wife

OP
OP
Helenbells

Helenbells

How about a cargo bike? They are designed to carry heavy loads.
However I would imagine 20 stone would have been tested on any electric bike frame. Above 20 stone might need more careful choosing because of the space needed between saddle and stem for large tummies.
If she is still able to walk resonably well she will be able to cycle. Go ahead, try lots of bikes. Good luck

OP
OP
Helenbells

Helenbells

Fat lady went on a Boris Bike across London. Whitechapel to Buckingham Palace on the hottest day of the year.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Trip down memory lane, as it was the route I travelled for over 15 years, many years ago. Loved the cycle lanes, great improvement, especially as I went along Embankment. My friends thought I was mad, but they knew that already having known me 55 years.
There were no hills so I didn't miss my electric bike.

Freego Fatty

Hello all! This thread enticed me into your lovely forum.
In my younger years I was a keen cyclist and had the figure to go with it, but now after years of travelling by car my weight has rocketed.
At 66 I thought my cycling days were done, never to return.
That was until my decision to sell the car and buy a good quality electric bike.
Now, at 15 and a half stone and 5'8' I am quite a large lady who zooms up the hills and against headwinds with ease!
My Freego Regency is a lovely classic looking bike.

AnneW

Über Member
Phaeton I am 52, 5' 2.5" (that's my new height, I used to be taller!) and 15.5 stone - my e-bike is a Raleigh Motus. It was expensive, I'll admit, but well worth every penny. Our LBS allows test rides and will even go out with you if you want the reassurance - I bet yours does too. It's great that larger folk are getting out on a bike, and as long as you get one that fits it'll be fine - I keep seeing people who look like a giant on a child's bike, which can't be comfortable. I hope your wife can be persuaded.

It's good to know that other people who are less than slim are cycling.

That said, I aim to be a lot lighter this time next year.....

cakeface

Phaeton I am 52, 5' 2.5" (that's my new height, I used to be taller!) and 15.5 stone - my e-bike is a Raleigh Motus. It was expensive, I'll admit, but well worth every penny. Our LBS allows test rides and will even go out with you if you want the reassurance - I bet yours does too. It's great that larger folk are getting out on a bike, and as long as you get one that fits it'll be fine - I keep seeing people who look like a giant on a child's bike, which can't be comfortable. I hope your wife can be persuaded.

Anne W I am looking at buying a Motus and you are o

Anne sorry to go off topic slightly but does your Motus have a quick release on the Magura hydraulic brakes. I am thinking of buying one of these bikes and will need to get it in and out of the car with the minimum of faffing?
Cheers.

AnneW

Über Member
Anne W I am looking at buying a Motus and you are o

Anne sorry to go off topic slightly but does your Motus have a quick release on the Magura hydraulic brakes. I am thinking of buying one of these bikes and will need to get it in and out of the car with the minimum of faffing?
Cheers.

We took the bike on holiday in the back of our VW Polo so we had a bit of practice taking the wheel off. I left it to OH (bad back not because it's difficult) and there are easy releases for the wheel and the brakes.

The only problem we had was fitting it in the car (I've got the larger frame version). We've since bought a cross bar so that we can put it on the bike rack.

Have you had a test ride? When I had mine the guy in our LBS showed us how to remove the wheel.

Let me know if you get one and how you find it. I love riding mine and can't wait to move office so that I can ride it every day.

cakeface

We took the bike on holiday in the back of our VW Polo so we had a bit of practice taking the wheel off. I left it to OH (bad back not because it's difficult) and there are easy releases for the wheel and the brakes.

The only problem we had was fitting it in the car (I've got the larger frame version). We've since bought a cross bar so that we can put it on the bike rack.

Have you had a test ride? When I had mine the guy in our LBS showed us how to remove the wheel.

Let me know if you get one and how you find it. I love riding mine and can't wait to move office so that I can ride it every day.
Hi Anne LBS only has the Captus step through which was good fun but the wrong geometry. Off to take a look at the Cross bar version tomorrow ☺
P.s. I am actually a fat bloke on a bike.

Last edited:

AnneW

Über Member
Hi Anne LBS only has the Captus step through which was good fun but the wrong geometry. Off to take a look at the Cross bar version tomorrow ☺
P.s. I am actually a fat bloke on a bike.

Enjoy the rest ride.

Spoke to hubby and he said you can do it without but a tyre lever to remove the brakes will save your finger nail :smile:

He advises that when you put it back on, leave the hub nuts a bit loose and turn the wheel to make sure it passes through the brake blocks before tightening fully.

Assuming you like it and buy it!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
They are alright the electric bikes but in my opinion they need to go faster than the 15MPH or whatever it is.
40-50 MPH would be more like it.
I peronally think people would be better off with a 125 or a moped.
They can be pedalled faster than the motor will take them, surely? Plus, mopeds can't go places that an ebike can.

D

Deleted member 26715

They can be pedalled faster than the motor will take them, surely?
Maybe they can but not legally, unless you are on private land that there is no chance of there being public access

D

Deleted member 26715

It's not illegal to pedal an e-bike faster than 15mph, or to freewheel down a hill on one. Only for the MOTOR to take you past that speed
Are you sure or are you thinking logically that what it means?

Top Bottom