Fat lady on an electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes. Sure.

An Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle is a pedal cycle in law and the same road rules apply to it as a normal bicycle. There is no "speed limit" for the bike.

The rules regarding power output and the limit of 15.5mph above which the motor should not propel the bike are the rules that define the machine as an EAPC rather than a motor vehicle requiring European Whole Vehicle Type Approval, VED, insurance and licencing requirements.

D

Deleted member 26715

There was a thread before which I cannot find where the view was different, but I agree with your view.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It isn't a view. By law the maximum wattage an ebike can be in the Uk is 250w and a maximum of 15.5 miles per hour. Once the max legal speed is reached, the motor cuts out and you are on your own. As the above poster says, you can go faster than that, but it is under your own power only not from the motor.

I'm going to guess confusion comes from "unintentionally lazy" articles such as
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/uk...-fast-e-bikes-fail-to-win-dft-approval/017402

. The DfT has now ensured that the UK's e-bike industry has to follow EU regulation 168/2013 – e-bikes with a maximum speed of 25 kmh and 250 watts will remain exempt from type-approval

The phrasing is not totally correct, and whilst I get what it means, it implies that the bike has a maximum speed, which is not the case. Although I can see how such a conclusion could be drawn reading this.

In this case "speed limit" is a turn of phrase akin to "road tax"

OP
OP
Helenbells

Helenbells

Fat lady is back on the electric bike. A viral illness earlier in the year knocked me out.
We have also replaced our old car with a Caddy Maxi Life. Joy of joys, both bikes can go in upright!!!!!
We have fitted a aluminium frame that slots in the boot area, with back seat taken out and middle seats folded down. Rather like a roof rack but inside the car itself.
Took the bike to Torquay and took the tortuous hills round Hope's nose. Needed high power and bestest gear, but struggled, because of left over viral effect. Mind you I am pleased, because I couldn't have walked up that hill anyway.

OP
OP
Helenbells

Helenbells

Just taken our pedal bikes out of the shed. They are both Claud Butler 70's vintage. Our daughter is moving to Bristol next to the Bristol and Bath cycle way. She is likely to commute into Bristol. As both bikes needed more than just a clean they have gone to a vintage repair shop. They caused some excitement for the mechanics who "oohed" and "ahhed" over them. Hanging up for sale were two Claud frames, fully restored at £350 each.
I went for a spin on my electric bike... wistfully remembering my commutes in the 70's and 80's, before the London bike lanes!

AnneW

Über Member
Helenbells I've had a similar year to you, with a nasty virus that stopped me in my tracks for 6-7 weeks. Back on the bike and building up my fitness again (such as it was).

OP
OP
Helenbells

Helenbells

Fat Lady has been on her vintage Claud Butler (recently made roadworthy) and on her electric bike too. Thoroughly enjoyed both.
Daughter now has the Claudette (picture too large to post) and will commute along the B2B when she is comfortable with riding it. I went for a spin along the path and wobbled quite a lot. My centre of gravity has changed since I last rode it! It was a joy to ride but it was on the flat.
Back home we enjoyed the electric bikes along the Lea Valley towpath. No need for the electric power this time as it is flat. Poodled along at a comfortable 8mph. Couple of small inclines by bridges so used low power then. The VW caddy has been brilliant for transporting the bikes.

OP
OP
Helenbells

Helenbells

Fat Lady has been back on the electric bike on the towpath on the Lea Navigation. The sky was a red hue yesterday and today was overcast but warm. Fabulous cycling and fabulous cuppa at the end of the rides. I do like my cycling.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If cheap Chinese is OK, then a woosh Petite might suit.

It has 24" wheels and is designed for shorter riders.

Even cheaper Chinese would be a Kudos Safari, a low step 26" wheel step through available in 43cm/17".

Something of a bargain - if it's the right bike - on special offer at £500-ish.

Wisper offer a 20" wheel step through which may suit a shorter rider - @welsh dragon has one and is pleased with it although I don't know how tall she is.

A step up in price would be something from Cube, who offer Bosch crank drive ebikes in a range of sizes, same as their push bikes.

Finally, the money no object purchase could be a Riese and Muller Tinker.

Another 20" wheel compact frame bike, but this time from a top quality German maker.

It has the Bosch crank drive and a choice of transmissions from about £2,800.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?petite

https://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=275

https://wisperbikes.com/e-bikes/806-se-folding-bike/

http://www.fullycharged.com/e-bikes/bike-brand/Riese-and-Muller-ebikes

welsh dragon

I am 5' 3" Yes. I have a Wisper folder. Would suit someone who is 5' tall. I like the 20" inch wheels, they are so much better than say 16" ones. Exdellent bike. I recommend it to anyone.

welsh dragon

I'm 6'-0" and not so slender, but ride a 20" wheel folder no problem (and have ridden a 16"!).

I've been checking what's available in the not so silly money category and with good advice from @welsh dragon and @Pale Rider Wisper is the brand which comes out on tops in my opinion.

Good luck Salar. I do hope you like the Wisper. I do. And let us know how you get on with it if you decide to buy one. :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm 6'-0" and not so slender, but ride a 20" wheel folder no problem (and have ridden a 16"!).

I've been checking what's available in the not so silly money category and with good advice from @welsh dragon and @Pale Rider Wisper is the brand which comes out on tops in my opinion.

I think you've weighed that up about right.

Wisper are a cut above budget Chinese, which they should be because they are a few hundred more money.

David Miall, the owner of Wisper, is very fair to deal with.

The 20" bike uses proven technology, but David will make a genuine attempt to sort out any problems.

Top Bottom