Fat. Old. Smoker.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Evening all.

Well, as per the title, I'm fat, (should be about a 34" waist and high 60's KG, but currently 40" waist and 95 KG). I'm old, (42, bust most morning feel more like 82), and a heavy smoker, (30 odd per day).

There was a time, way back in the late 80's / very early 90's that I thought I was a real Claudio Chiappucci. I used to laugh in the face of even the steepest climbs here where I call home, (the Peak District).

Then I started drinking, smoking, driving everywhere, and as seen as it was the early 90's, lets just say hedonism and rave culture took it's toll on my health.

Fast forward 27 years and I get easily out of breath running around after my daughter. If I don't get fit soon, I'll soon find myself going to the Undertakers for a long nap.

Well, I've always been of the thinking that if you're going to do something, then you might as well do it right. A Boardman X7 at a local Halfords seemed like a good deal at £300. Even more so when I managed to chip them down to £250. Well, if I've bought the bike, I might as well buy some other gear as well, right ? A couple of pairs of Ridge tights and shorts, a few jerseys, base layers and a jacket from various places in the sales kept things bargain-tastic. Shoes were harder to come by, although I eventually got some Shimano RP1's for £35 in my size (46), Shimano pedals and cleats for £26, a used Garmin Edge 500 for £42, heart rate monitor from Halfords £20, and a Garmin Cadence and Speed Sensor that refuses to talk to my Garmin Edge 500 for £48.

I was going to go out for a ride today, but considering it's been blowing a gale and pissing it down all day up here, I thought it might not be wise to go out on a bike for the first time in over 25 years in such conditions.

So, why am I doing this ? Why have I just spent all this money ? Well, I ain't 21 any more. I'm depressingly unfit, I'm obese, and I want to stop smoking. Besides the odd very badly played round of golf, I don't do any other exercise. I think it will be interesting to track my progress over the next 6-12 months on Strava, (if I can ever get my tech to speak to each other). Hopefully I'll have stopped smoking, lost a fair bit of weight and got a fair bit fitter as well.

And one last thing....... Well, you know how I said "if you're going to do something, you might as well do it right" ? Well, erm..... I've just entered my first Sportive. The Flat 100 on June 1st, although I am only doing the baby 25 miler, so any tips on how to prepare would be appreciated. And if you all want to start a sweepstake on whether I complete the course or have a heart attack trying, then please do let me know the odds, as gambling is another one of my bad habits.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome. :welcome:. Well done for making the momentous decision to make a big change in your life. Good luck with getting back on a bike, and i hope you start to notice changes in your weight and general health within a few weeks. But a word of advice. Start out on the bike slowly. Don't try to go to far, too fast, too soon. And good luck.

OP
OP
T

The Smoker

Hello and welcome. :welcome:. Well done for making the momentous decision to make a big change in your life. Good luck with getting back on a bike, and i hope you start to notice changes in your weight and general health within a few weeks. But a word of advice. Start out on the bike slowly. Don't try to go to far, too fast, too soon. And good luck.

Just like I suspect it is in your neck-o-woods, it's a bit hilly around here. I've already recc-ied a route thats 6.5 miles long, but contains some long drags and nasty ramps. I would have been out today, but the weather has been very wet and very, very windy. Not ideal for my first time on a bike in 25 years.

No matter what it is that I'm doing in life, I always seem to perform best when my back is against the wall. Getting half way to bike fit in 3 months before my first Sportive ain't going to be easy, and I must admit to having a bit of a "whoops" moment when I got the conformation email through from SportiveHQ, wondering if I'd bitten off a bit more than I can chew. Oh well, only one way to find out I guess.

tom73

Guru
Welcome
Just go slow and steady and you will be fine. Little by little you improve healthwise. Re the stopping smoking call and see your practice nurse who can get you sorted with some help which has been proved to work than just going it alone. The good thing is the positive effects of stopping soon start to show.

OP
OP
T

The Smoker

Welcome
Just go slow and steady and you will be fine. Little by little you improve healthwise. Re the stopping smoking call and see your practice nurse who can get you sorted with some help which has been proved to work than just going it alone. The good thing is the positive effects of stopping soon start to show.

Cheers for the tips on stopping smoking. I did go to my local Docs about this a while back, but they couldn't have seemed more dissinterested if they'd tried, so it's something I won't go bothering them about again. I did make an effort to stop about 15 years back by keeping a chart of how many I smoked each day, and trying to smoke one less per day. But then I moved house, lost the chart, (it was written on paper), and just went back to smoking 30+ a day again as work was, as it always is, stressful and busy.

Here's hoping the weather is better in the next couple of days so I can get out on the bike. I'll call in at JE James in the morning and see if they can get my tech to talk to each other. They did say it was "simple to do" and "idiot proof", which doesn't say much about me considering I can't get them paired up !

A good pall of mine who has his own gym and does triathlons for fun has said he'll go out with me for my first ride. I think that's just so he can laugh at me trying to un-clip at junctions, but even so, it'll be nice to have someone offer some words of encouragement and give some advice.

OP
OP
T

The Smoker

Seems to me you've made the biggest step already. :okay:

Yeah, things can't carry on as they are, or I'll end up dead by the time I'm 60.

colly

Re member eR
Yeah, things can't carry on as they are, or I'll end up dead by the time I'm 60.
I got back on a bike at a similar age.
I wasn't a smoker nor was l over weight but l know for a fact its kept me healthy in body and mind over the past 25 years.
When things were bad having a few hours away from the usual problems helped get everything in perspective.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you're only 42, you're a decade behind where I was when I finally decided to get a bit of a grip. I started riding a bike again and really enjoyed it, but I still smoked for a couple of years more. Then, one Sunday, I was driving away from the birthday party of an aged relative, and I idly wondered if his funeral would be the next event I would attend. Automatically, I reached for a small, cheap cigar and lit it while driving along, and suddenly it hit me....

"What makes you so sure that you can cheat all the statistics about the health damage of smoking? FFS, you're 54!" That was it for me. I was the last time I lit up. No chewing gum, no therapy, no acupucture or hypnosis. I just decided I wanted to live. After that, it was the easiest thing in the world to do. My cycling got better, even more so after having to have a cardiac bypass due to the damage from smoking, two years after stopping. That was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure that the decision to ride a bike again saved my life.

You'll be fine.:okay:

Start out on the bike slowly. Don't try to go to far, too fast, too soon. And good luck.
This ^^^ in spades.
Welcome.
Fitness and weight loss will come automatically if you ride regularly.
Sportive: do not fret. Even if you only go for a ride when its fine out, you will manage 25 miles easily. In 6 months time, you will think 25 miles is no distance at all !
Smoking: this could be harder, especially if you do it solo, cold turkey. But you have the right attitude. There are loads of different ideas and tricks to help you; we are all different. I'm sure there are plenty here to offer advice, myself included. You could start a thread in the Training, Fitness and Health sub-forum.
Good luck.

Top Bottom