Fat. Old. Smoker.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Best thing you can do is ride little and often - it doesn't have to be loads of miles, but build it up, and get out a few times a week.

And ditch the ciggys. That will make a huge difference as cycling is heart and lungs mainly (legs follow).

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
^^^^^^ THIS - STOP SMOKING!
and WELCOME, great decision you've made :thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My BIL has switched to e-cigs, so, I'd suggest trying that. He's stuck with it, and he is much better health wise. Still e-cigs, but it's a massive improvement.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Evening all.

I
And one last thing....... Well, you know how I said "if you're going to do something, you might as well do it right" ? Well, erm..... I've just entered my first Sportive. The Flat 100 on June 1st, although I am only doing the baby 25 miler, so any tips on how to prepare would be appreciated. And if you all want to start a sweepstake on whether I complete the course or have a heart attack trying, then please do let me know the odds, as gambling is another one of my bad habits.

Well done for making the effort to change. As far as training for the 25, go out riding whenever you can, even if it is only a few miles. The legs will soon get used to cycling. Try to ramp up the mileage bit by bit, you still have plenty of time.
On the day of the ride, do not try to do a superman effort, slow and steady to start off with. Remember, it is how you finish, not how you start.

johnblack

Über Member
Best of luck on your quest, it's all about the determination and will power, if you've got that you'll do it. A few friends at work went to the docs. about the smoking and were given a pill that stopped them in their tracks, might be worth a try?

Just to throw a spanner in the proverbial I still smoke and on long rides if I have a coffee stop I always have a cigarette with my coffee.

The tablets people are referring to are called Champix, I did try them and yes they stopped me smoking for a while but the side effects were horrendous.

Top Bottom