Fat or plus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
i have a dillema. It’s a dillema I’ve had before but I went about it all the wrong way!

I’m a roadie and I want something for the rough stuff, but the rough stuff could be Manchester velodrome trails on one weekend, welsh trail centre the next and a pub cruise on canals the one after that. I could really use three more bikes, but you know how it is.

I’ve got about £600 to throw at the second hand market and have considered the following;

Cannondale Beast of the east. I like everything about it, but the forks are raising questions and I would like pannier mounts.

Specialized fuse comp 6fattie. Same as the above, but it comes with a dropper post which is a big bonus. Forks are supposedly not as good as the dale.

Or, fat fatbike. Genesis Caribou is top of my list (because I love genesis!) I can strap a tonne of gear to it and go anywhere. That appeals a lot. But would I have less fun on the trails?

Answers on a postcard?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I’m a roadie and I want something for the rough stuff, but the rough stuff could be Manchester velodrome trails on one weekend, welsh trail centre the next and a pub cruise on canals the one after that. I could really use three more bikes, but you know how it is.
WHAT! 3 bikes? I think you are over thinking this because you have read too much and been sucked in by the hype (crap!).

Clayton Vale and Welsh trail centres are one and the same, except Wales has more elevation. Canal towpaths are suitable for a rigid hybrid, PERIOD!

Having looked at the 3 bikes you have listed I can't help but wonder why, as a roadie, you would want to go fat or plus? It sounds like you haven't ridden the trails you mention or the bikes you suggest. There is nothing you are considering riding that a good 'normal' hardtail will not cope with and reward the rider with ear to ear grins on each and every run.

Let me furnish you with this quote from the 1st review of the Genisis I clicked on - HERE
"With the Caribou’s 4in-wide Vee Mission tyres resisting directional change you have to turn the bars far more than usual, and with more force, as the bike resists leaning over. On hard-packed surfaces this isn’t a bike that wants to change direction on a dime – even the camber of the road had us quarrelling with the bars."

Do yourself a favour, beg borrow or steal a regular, good XC MTB and go ride some trails, BEFORE you part with any cash. Hell, ask nicely and I might be able to fix you up with a ride at Clayton Vale (if you ask very nicely!).

When you find a good XC MTB, you will have found 'the ONE bike'. Trust me, if you want fun, speed and reward then a hardtail MTB is the bike you are looking for.....

(I am likely to be at Clayton tomorrow from Midday onwards :okay:) Calling @dan_bo for an early Friday finish :hello:.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
WHAT! 3 bikes? I think you are over thinking this because you have read too much and been sucked in by the hype (crap!).

Clayton Vale and Welsh trail centres are one and the same, except Wales has more elevation. Canal towpaths are suitable for a rigid hybrid, PERIOD!

Having looked at the 3 bikes you have listed I can't help but wonder why, as a roadie, you would want to go fat or plus? It sounds like you haven't ridden the trails you mention or the bikes you suggest. There is nothing you are considering riding that a good 'normal' hardtail will not cope with and reward the rider with ear to ear grins on each and every run.

Let me furnish you with this quote from the 1st review of the Genisis I clicked on - HERE
"With the Caribou’s 4in-wide Vee Mission tyres resisting directional change you have to turn the bars far more than usual, and with more force, as the bike resists leaning over. On hard-packed surfaces this isn’t a bike that wants to change direction on a dime – even the camber of the road had us quarrelling with the bars."

Do yourself a favour, beg borrow or steal a regular, good XC MTB and go ride some trails, BEFORE you part with any cash. Hell, ask nicely and I might be able to fix you up with a ride at Clayton Vale (if you ask very nicely!).

When you find a good XC MTB, you will have found 'the ONE bike'. Trust me, if you want fun, speed and reward then a hardtail MTB is the bike you are looking for.....

(I am likely to be at Clayton tomorrow from Midday onwards :okay:) Calling @dan_bo for an early Friday finish :hello:.

Amazing. You’ve got me pegged!

I suppose at this point in time I’m looking simply at what’s available and what takes my fancy. The question I’m asking is why wouldn’t I want more rubber on the ground? It seems logical to me. I’m not winning any races and it’s for the smiles, not the KOMS.

However, I think I get what you’re saying. I had a Santa Cruz chameleon for a short while two years ago and looking back, absolutely hated the thing, so I suppose I’m over compensating somewhat.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Im with Skol too
At 600 you want to be looking a a good 27.5 hardtail in the second hand market.
Then you can run tyres from 1.5 to 2.4 which will cover all your requirements .

Happy hunting

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Have a look at the Cube hardtails on Tredz for that price.

I'm gonna go second hand on the grounds that if I make a terrible decision (Which is looking pretty likely judging on the above :laugh: ) I can sell on and not lose too much.

So, considering I have made a terrible decisions and plus bikes are wildly unnecessary, what should I be looking at?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I'm gonna go second hand on the grounds that if I make a terrible decision (Which is looking pretty likely judging on the above :laugh: ) I can sell on and not lose too much.

So, considering I have made a terrible decisions and plus bikes are wildly unnecessary, what should I be looking at?

Surly do some great plus and fat bikes, but I think even 2nd hand you’ll be looking at the £700-£800 mark. I think @I like Skol is in a better advisory position than I am.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How about this unused Giant?

Back story looks genuine, it has a mountain triple which is not so common these days but adds versatility.

Nice, podgy, treaded tyres to get you started, and you could always put semi-slicks on if you end up using the bike mostly on towpaths.

Looks like it also has plenty of bosses, so should take a carrier/panniers which you said you wanted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Ta...263472?hash=item4d6e13a6f0:g:x~gAAOSwqSBagzAD

Last edited:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Funnily enough I'm on the MTB today. Earliest I can get down there is 4. Might see ya eh?!

Levo-Lon

Guru

Back story looks genuine, it has a mountain triple which is not so common these days but adds versatility.

Nice, podgy, treaded tyres to get you started, and you could always put semi-slicks on if you end up using the bike mostly on towpaths.

Looks like it also has plenty of bosses, so should take a carrier/panniers which you said you wanted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Ta...263472?hash=item4d6e13a6f0:g:x~gAAOSwqSBagzAD

Perfect for just about everything.

size is medium so 5' 6 to 5' 10 ish

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran

Thanks pale rider, how's the ebike treating you these days? Still very impressed from that century ride.

It's not tickling my fancy but I can certainly see the relevance.

This thread has lead me down the On-One steel hardtail route. @I like Skol - Is that more sensible?!

Jody

Stubborn git

That pretty much sums it up. Its the reason I opted for a short travel FS XC as i've had big travel bikes and hardtails. Other than smashing through rock gardens at warp speed or hitting massive jumps there is little it can't do.

Have you considered something like a second hand Bird. This is a massive spec and a highly rated HT

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bird-AM-Zero-Hardtail/263507175119?hash=item3d5a4066cf:g:socAAOSw9p9aiy2Z

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Slightly different perspective here and with the admission I don't own a fat or plus bike.....

But... if that's what you want, why not? Though I think @I like Skols post is spot on -you can have a ton of fun and more flexibility with wheels that will take anywhere from 1-2.5 inch tyres! However, if you really want a plus or fat bike* just be prepared that cycling along canal paths or smooth trails won't be as fast or easy as narrower tyres, but perhaps you want that for an extra work out and don't mind? (and I'm not saying that sarcastically at all, some people do want the extra workout).

From my point of view, I view plus and fat bikes as less-compromizing-more-off-road bikes, though as I said I haven't got one but still have a great time on my old 26-er. In fact, I'm not even entertaining getting a plus or fat bike as I enjoy my current bikes too much. If it's what you want though, I'd say go for it (though test ride some different style bikes first is great advice to make sure).

*I still think plus fatbikes are relative to the "old"narrower wheel choice still expensive, so you might also be getting less value for money as well.

Drago

Legendary Member
A nice 650B hardtail, bit choose a trail machine - XC bikes are more racing orientated, whereas trail machines are for muchq the same terrain but more comfortable, with less frenetic geometry.

Top Bottom