Fat or plus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
OK, take this with a huge pinch of salt.... and I'm no expert, and this can classify as hearsay, but I can report this from my friend who has plus and fat bikes: when I asked him which bike he liked the best he said he liked plus bikes the best. He thought the fatbikes were a little too specialized for his tastes, whereas the plus bike hit the sweetspot for him. I cycle with him regularly, and I can only recall him cycling with the fat bike a couple of times, all other times he brings his plus bikes.

You pays your money, you takes your choice..... But do please let us know what you end up with!

As you’ve probably noticed I’m super receptive to insight - I wouldn’t have asked if I wasn’t! I’m still debating a fat bike for the sheer fun factor reported, but trying to test ride on is proving tricky.

I already have two road bikes, one for touring and commuting, one for going as fast as I can on as steep a gradient as I can find. I recognise the need for the right tool for the job, even if some are used to hitting everything with a hammer.

Keep the ideas flowing! They all help!

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Just been out to Clayton vale on a Genesis Core 20, 27.5 x 2.2. Great fun! Has it convinced me I don’t want a fat bike...?

Jury’s still out.

fossala

Guru
May not be my fastest bike but it sure is fun!

Attachments

• fat.jpg
    fat.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 64

Bodhbh

Guru
It'll depend on the frame clearance, but there is the option of running a 27.5 bike with 26+ wheelset, or a 29er with 27.5+ and getting the best of both worlds.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I made a decision! New bike day today and I’m very pleased to say I’m the new owner of a Cannondale Cujo 1.

I borrowed a friends Genesis core 20 and found it to be a bit “Dead" feeling, then went out on a voodoo wazoo fatbike which, as people had mentioned previously, was an absolute pig to handle. Something about the cannondale felt just right under me, and although it’s 27.5 plus and therefore I must have more money than sense (that’s probably true, and I don’t have much money either) it’s really rather lovely.

Thanks for all the input and I’ll post a photo or two for those interested tomorrow.

JhnBssll

Veteran
If it felt just right it's the perfect choice :okay:

My favourite mtb is my 27.5 plus - Its incredible what those tires will stick to and roll over. I've had a few moments over wet roots that my 26er wouldn't have been happy about :laugh: In my case it's probably fair to say the equipment is making up for a lack of skill at times :laugh:

I can understand the arguments about marketing hype and fads but jump on a 27.5 plus tubeless with 15psi in the tires and tell me it's not a whole lot of fun :laugh:

Top Bottom