Father feels he was denied justice over son’s death.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

froze

Über Member
I never judged the accident, but you did without knowing a damn thing about it! Then you make a lame pass to point your ignorance at me? I don't play with stupid people, find someone else to play with.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I never judged the accident, but you did without knowing a damn thing about it! Then you make a lame pass to point your ignorance at me? I don't play with stupid people, find someone else to play with.

Not interested in all the emotional fluff of your post but i will try to stay on topic to minimise the risk of adding more work for the mods.

What has been reported is this:

"The light and conditions that day may have made it more difficult to see Mr Jones, but after hearing expert and forensic evidence, the driver would have seen him for at least seven seconds."

At least seven seconds....

at 30mph that is 100 metres. Nearly the full length of an American Football Field, so you understand.

at 40mph that is 130 metres.

at 50mph that is 150 metres

How far do you have to travel before you notice another road user?

The report mentions the light conditions. It is not cited as an excuse in the report but do YOU think Is that a good excuse?

Drago

Legendary Member
Thse things are not accidents. They are the consequence of either wilful negligence or deliberate recklessness.

The only acceptable way to conduct oneself when driving is with care and diligence. There is no excuse for anything short of that, although society at large - and indeed you yourself - seem to think it is somehow understandable when someone gets behind the wheel and is at best nonchalant about it.

They may not have been a loon, they may not have been deliberately careless, but to get behind the wheel without the positive intent to drive carefully and diligently is a wilful, conscious act.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Thse things are not accidents. They are the consequence of either wilful negligence or deliberate recklessness.
That doesn't mean they aren't accidents.

Far too many people seem to think that "accident" means it was something unavoidable. It doesn't.

All "accident" means is that it was an unintended consequence.

Drago

Legendary Member
Unintended consequences are the result of careless or reckless behaviour.

Diligent and careful behaviour does not bring about unintended consequences, by the very virtue of being diligent and careful.

What could be an unintended consequencs of taking care with one's speed?

Or not getting too close to the car In front?

Or not attempting a daft overtake?

Or pulling over because the sun is in the your eyes?

We would be genuinely interested to know what the unintended consequences of such measured, sensible behaviour may be? Please explain.

In 30 years of scraping brains off the tarmac - yes, I have actually had to scrape grey matter off the road more than once - I never came across a collision where all parties involved were being careful and diligent. Every single one had an element of either recklessness or carelessness from at least one of those parties involved, and that is the source of unintended consequences.

Old pilots, bold pilots. It's as true today as it ever was.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
That doesn't mean they aren't accidents.

Far too many people seem to think that "accident" means it was something unavoidable. It doesn't.

All "accident" means is that it was an unintended consequence.

I agree that is the common dictionary definition; however the term is often used to imply an adverse event had no cause and needs no explanation.

I do it, I say to Ms AU there was an accident and ketchup got on the carpet. What would be a more complete description is that I didn't take care and squirted ketchup all over the place. Again.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Unintended consequences are the result of careless or reckless behaviour.

More often (much more) than not, yes.

Diligent and careful behaviour does not bring about unintended consequences, by the very virtue of being diligent and careful.

What could be an unintended consequencs of taking care with one's speed?

Or not getting too close to the car In front?

Or not attempting a daft overtake?

Or pulling over because the sun is in the your eyes?

We would be genuinely interested to know what the unintended consequences of such measured, sensible behaviour may be? Please explain.

Please explain it yourself, since you appear to be the only one suggesting there might be any.

icowden

Veteran
On a positive note, as we move out of older cars and into newer EVs, those cars will do the braking (and looking) for you if they think a collision is imminent.

tinywheels

Über Member
RTA now known as an RTC.
Someone is to blame for the consequences.
The roads are dangerous.
life is dangerous.
Unfortunately we as cyclist's are vulnerable.
The consequences for dodgy driving are inadequate.
We are seen as a nuisance.

Top Bottom