Fatigue frustration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Not on a proper long ride it isn’t. If you’re not properly rested, you’ll get the ‘double whammy’ of ‘fuel out’ and fatigue. I still regularly encounter people who come on my guided endurance rides, who think it’s a good idea to go out on the lash the couple of nights before, then find out the hard way, that you can out eat a fuel out, but you can’t do anything about the muscles packing up because their fatigued. When you get the two in unison, it’s really nasty, and most people tend to have to go over 150 miles to get the full effect. I still get idiots trying to advise them that it’s “all about the fuelling” and “eat something, you’ll be fine” if they’re daft enough to listen, then on their heads be it.
What is a proper long ride? Have done loads of hundred mile rides with mates, after a night on the lash, if you choose to ride with the boys they do not have the legs, you need to ride with men.

Last edited:

mgs315

I’d argue that intensity matters far more to me than miles. I’m quite happy to churn out around 100 miles at an easy pace on a relatively flat course but I’d much rather blast 35-50ish on a hilly course at full gas whenever I can stand it. I tend to ride more PBs solo than in groups as a result.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I’d argue that intensity matters far more to me than miles. I’m quite happy to churn out around 100 miles at an easy pace on a relatively flat course but I’d much rather blast 35-50ish on a hilly course at full gas whenever I can stand it. I tend to ride more PBs solo than in groups as a result.
Same here. I can’t just tootle around. Into the red mostly.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I agree with Derrick , pasta is a made up food thats pretty crap for your body and in my case induces a sugar rush / bonk a few hours after eating it .

huwsparky

Über Member
Same here. I can’t just tootle around. Into the red mostly.
That's likely a big part of your problem. To become a fast cyclist over distance you need to train your body to be efficient. Long rides at a much lower intensity is key to building endurance. Over time you'll get to be able to do your current 'flat out' pace at a much lower intensity therefore being able to go harder for longer. If you're not willing to change your mindset about 'training', you can forget it.

Back off would be my advice. I had a similar thing some years back - the more miles I did the worse and slower I was - I thought the solution was even more miles - minor aches and pains - became pretty painful - still I pushed on - one night I rode 40 miles in total agony - I was off the bike for 3 years after that.

Diagnosis wise my hamstrings had gotten so damm tight - the tendons were tearing from the pelvis. With hindsight my whole body was screaming for rest - I had rode myself into the ground.

I do gym and yoga sessions now to supplement my cycling - Im not fast - but fast enough to ride with the club I am in - done a couple of 100's and have more planned. I am fitter than most people my age and can still do the sport I love.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I agree with Derrick , pasta is a made up food thats pretty crap for your body and in my case induces a sugar rush / bonk a few hours after eating it .

Absolutely incorrect. Pasta is made from wheat and eggs so it's natural. It is a pure carbohydrate so gives the very opposite effect of sugar, a steady release of energy rather than a quick easily-available burst that can lead to the bonk.

My problem with a big pasta meal the evening before an event is that it inevitably leads to at least one morning session on the bog, which can't be hurried because of the lack of bulk. This is always inconvenient just before an early start. Better to buy maltodextrin from Myprotein.com and put an inch in your water bottle to fuel you during the ride.

Most cyclists spend the summer in a state of permanent fatigue because they overdo it and don't get enough protein to repair muscle damage. Eat quality meats and lots of eggs to recover after a big event and recognise how much a big ride takes out of an amateur.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Absolutely incorrect. Pasta is made from wheat and eggs so it's natural. It is a pure carbohydrate so gives the very opposite effect of sugar, a steady release of energy rather than a quick easily-available burst that can lead to the bonk.
Almost correct apart from its processed food and your body uses the glucose for energy ( thats sugar ) Which in turn makes your body produce insulin which in turn makes you crave more sugar ( thats the bonk )
Thats also the short version :okay:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
All carbohydrates are sugar but they can be separated into slow burning carbs and fast burning carbs. Pasta is a slow burning carb and releases it's energy over a longer period. Jelly babies are fast acting and good for short term boosts.
Insulin breaks down glucose so the body can use it more efficiently but doesn't actually cause a craving for it. That happens if the body uses up the sugar too quickly causing hypoglycema and the need for more sugar to replenish it.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
All carbohydrates are sugar but they can be separated into slow burning carbs and fast burning carbs. Pasta is a slow burning carb and releases it's energy over a longer period. Jelly babies are fast acting and good for short term boosts.
Insulin breaks down glucose so the body can use it more efficiently but doesn't actually cause a craving for it. That happens if the body uses up the sugar too quickly causing hypoglycemia and the need for more sugar to replenish it.
Like exercising hard resulting in bonking after eating slow burning carbs / sugar , causing the body to crave sugar / jelly babies .
I'm glad you joined this discussion Vantage as i have suffered this bonk / hypoglycemia a few times over the last 30 years and ive always wondered why it happens after a pasta meal with a physical job . Just starting to understand why now .

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Had 2 days off and smashed a 35 tonight. I totally relate to the permanent state of fatigue in the summer. Could do with 2 more days off now then a long slow ride Sunday.

huwsparky

Über Member
Had 2 days off and smashed a 35 tonight. I totally relate to the permanent state of fatigue in the summer. Could do with 2 more days off now then a long slow ride Sunday.
You need to change your mindset. Forget about smashing a 35. Think of your rides in time and intensity, aiming for a certain milage just clouds what you really need to be doing. There's definitely a place for sweet spot rides (which is what you're doing) but it's just not good training to be doing all your rides at that intensity mainly for the reasons your finding amongst others.

Top Bottom