Fatigue frustration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
All carbohydrates are sugar
No they're not. Simple carbs like sucrose, glucose etc are sugars, but complex carbs like starches are not. Perhaps pedantic, and they are metabolised into sugars, but they are not themselves sugars.

Alan O

Über Member
I'm not an endurance/intensive cyclist by a long way. I am training for a 100-mile ride in July, but that's a distance that many ride as training for bigger things. Bearing that in mind, I'll offer a couple of observations.

I was forced off the bike for 3 weeks in April due to illness and then an ankle injury, and I feared that I'd have lost some fitness when I got back to it. But after a few evening rides this week, that's clearly not happened, and I felt great getting back on - and when I got home I discovered a handful of Strava PRs on my regular short runs. Rest is very important.

The other thing is that I think alternating longer weekend rides (for me that's 50 miles or so) at a steady pace with shorter and higher intensity rides on midweek evenings (15-20 miles) is improving my fitness better than just concentrating on distance.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The other thing is that I think alternating longer weekend rides (for me that's 50 miles or so) at a steady pace with shorter and higher intensity rides on midweek evenings (15-20 miles) is improving my fitness better than just concentrating on distance.

I agree with that a few fast 25 mile loops in the week, when it comes to longer at the weekend they feel so easy. But we do ride a bit slower at weekennds. But don't agree with the pasta, you can keep that,:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I find that I need about four days rest after a hard session, of course I break that rule and suffer because of it, but if I want to Improve then four days I must wait, I can do light sessions in between the four days, but it was only when I realised that I felt much less tired and stronger once the 4 days had passed, that I was overtraining and not improving because of it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I always taper before a long ride, if i have a long ride planned for next weekend i will do a couple of easy 25 mile rides Monday and Tuesday, then rest till the weekend, works for me.

Trigger369

Über Member
For me . I do 2 1hr sessions on the trainer during the week and a ride at the weekend . 30 mile 2hr ride done today finished around 10.30am. Had porridge b4 i left . Had a stop half way with a cream bun and bottle of lucozade sport. Also drank a 750ml and half 500ml water .Got home had a shake and 2poached egg 2 pancakes and beans .
And guess what ,
I still have a sore head after the ride .happens every weekend ride and it's the only part of me that's sore .it's nearly 10pm now and it's only starting to settle now. Anyone else get this?

vickster

Legendary Member
For me . I do 2 1hr sessions on the trainer during the week and a ride at the weekend . 30 mile 2hr ride done today finished around 10.30am. Had porridge b4 i left . Had a stop half way with a cream bun and bottle of lucozade sport. Also drank a 750ml and half 500ml water .Got home had a shake and 2poached egg 2 pancakes and beans .
And guess what ,
I still have a sore head after the ride .happens every weekend ride and it's the only part of me that's sore .it's nearly 10pm now and it's only starting to settle now. Anyone else get this?
Is your bike the right size and set up well...headaches often caused by tension around the neck

Trigger369

Über Member
Giant contend med frame I'm 5"9. So frame should be good . Still tinkering with setup to be honest .Just moved my saddle forward about 5mm today and it was a bit better on the bottom . I'm thinking it's the neck as well because on the trainer I don't a sore head only on the road I must be straining my neck .
I need get a few pounds together and invest in a retul bike fit . Keep it shy from the wife ya know

400bhp

Guru
I’ve only 65, what’s your secret? My FTP is up but wiped out today.

If you have a power meter, do you monitor Training Stress Score (TSS) at all?

Aside from the above, a pal of mine uses RHR (measured frst thing in the morning) as a broad guide for fatigue. If it's up about 10bpm he takes that as a sign to rest.

Also, a very simple rule of thumb is 4 weeks on, one week off. The off being "recovery". You then have to figure out what recovery means for you.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
If you have a power meter, do you monitor Training Stress Score (TSS) at all?

Aside from the above, a pal of mine uses RHR (measured frst thing in the morning) as a broad guide for fatigue. If it's up about 10bpm he takes that as a sign to rest.

Also, a very simple rule of thumb is 4 weeks on, one week off. The off being "recovery". You then have to figure out what recovery means for you.
I have stretched myself with a large mortgage and kids like a common cog of society so I can’t afford a power meter yet. Hopefully have one in 18 months.
The heart rate watching is a good tip though. ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
Giant contend med frame I'm 5"9. So frame should be good . Still tinkering with setup to be honest .Just moved my saddle forward about 5mm today and it was a bit better on the bottom . I'm thinking it's the neck as well because on the trainer I don't a sore head only on the road I must be straining my neck .
I need get a few pounds together and invest in a retul bike fit . Keep it shy from the wife ya know
Forget retul, get a physio to assess you and do the fit. Retul was probably my biggest cycling related waste of £150, £90 on physio assessment among my best :okay:

Do you wear a helmet and cycling specs? Probably contributing factors that you don't use on the trainer, nor do you have to crane your neck indoors unlike outside where you need to watch the road

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Pot holes give me headaches or dehydration. On a side note my resting heart rate is 37 so pleased with that.

Top Bottom