Fatigue frustration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Missed the sunshine today as I still feel drained from the last training ride. Everyone seems to be smashing in serious mileage.
Has anybody got any recovery tips apart from pasta with early night?

Ride less, rest

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Missed the sunshine today as I still feel drained from the last training ride. Everyone seems to be smashing in serious mileage.
Has anybody got any recovery tips apart from pasta with early night?
Stuff the pasta. eat some proper food, not a bit of pasta has past my lips, nor will it ever.
miles.PNG

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I train hard 6 days a week and often feel fatigued, but on those rest days I buzz and also allow well.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No wonder. Had a tough week at work :sad:
I feel a big difference in my riding energy levels after a few days off work.
I don't have a desk job, always on the go at work.
I still commute by bike whatever the length of the shift (could be 5 or 14 hours), obviously much slower when I'm exhausted.

Fatigue is the hardest thing to deal with, in my opinion. I often get asked to get people riding up to 200 miles in one go, and my advice is always that fuelling is the main thing to concern themselves with up to 100 miles, as soon as we get to the 150-200 mile distances, it’s the fatigue and the fueling in unison, that’s the bugger. If you run short of fuel, eating something, and backing off a bit works, when the fatigue hits, you can’t do anything to help it, other than stop, and rest. Whether you get the fatigue on a long ride, or because of several rides, undertaken without sufficient recovery in between, the advice is the same, only sufficient rest will help.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
It is all about fuelling yourself. Finding what is good for you. On my first 200 mile ride. The club supplied pasta and pizza. Tasted awful. After 160 miles we had our last stop. My other half was in the support vehicle. I asked her to get some pies or proper food. She came back with a gala pie. We soon demolished that. Then finished the ride. Eat proper food.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I’ve done it with too many frequent short and medium rides with too much effort. Tomorrow is another day.

It is all about fuelling yourself

Not on a proper long ride it isn’t. If you’re not properly rested, you’ll get the ‘double whammy’ of ‘fuel out’ and fatigue. I still regularly encounter people who come on my guided endurance rides, who think it’s a good idea to go out on the lash the couple of nights before, then find out the hard way, that you can out eat a fuel out, but you can’t do anything about the muscles packing up because their fatigued. When you get the two in unison, it’s really nasty, and most people tend to have to go over 150 miles to get the full effect. I still get idiots trying to advise them that it’s “all about the fuelling” and “eat something, you’ll be fine” if they’re daft enough to listen, then on their heads be it.

Top Bottom