Fatigue on way home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Rosie 5678

I'm not sure I'm that brave to cycle through the snow etc but never say never! I agree with you about the additional time it takes when cycling especially when working nights. I must admit my enthusiasm is zero for cycling to work when I'm on my third night shift in a row but I'm hoping this will get better with time ^_^

12boy

Guru
I began commuting in 81 and continued until I retired for the third time last year. I only live about 3.5 miles from work by the direct route but usually did around 20 round trip unless there was snow and ice. Riding 3.5 in 10 degrees F through the snow etc was plenty. In the summer the mornings were best and the 90+ degree afternoons the worst and the reverse in the winter. You haven't said what you do, but I was in a high stress office job and relied on the ride each way as a stress reducer. It worked well. What you are used to is everything. There were a couple of weeks in January or February when the roads were too bad to ride with single digit highs and walking the trip was really hard work at first. The great thing about riding a bike to work, or walking , is at the end of the day there isn't a lot of choice if you want to go home. I found once I got started I made a few endorphins and was happy as a pig in poo, anyway. Even when it was 100 F if I tanked up on electrolytes and water and took it slower I could get home ok. The other thing is my bikes are all dialed in ergonomically. A bike that is totally comfortable and set up just right can put a smile on your face even when tired and one that doesn't work or fit properly can suck all the joy out of ride in no time. Happy trails!`

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm not sure I'm that brave to cycle through the snow etc but never say never! I agree with you about the additional time it takes when cycling especially when working nights. I must admit my enthusiasm is zero for cycling to work when I'm on my third night shift in a row but I'm hoping this will get better with time ^_^

When I used to live 4 miles from work and didn't need to lug loads of heavy stuff around, I used to ride to work on average two or three days a week. If the weather was nice and I was in the mood, I rode. If it was really windy, raining, or snowing (rare in London), or I just felt a bit rough, I used to drive or get the bus. There's no prizes for being a masochist and riding in horrible conditions or when you are feeling a bit below par. Cycling must never feel like a chore to be endured, otherwise the motivation for doing it goes out of the window and the temptation is to jack it in.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I cycle a 10 mile round trip each day. I leave the office at about 5.30pm, so at say, 4.30, I eat a banana. it's nicely releasing it's energy by the time I get on the bike.

I prefer the ride home as I have more time for 'diversions'. However, I do sometime have to remember to fuel up for it with a snack (oatie bar or suchlike) half an hour before finishing otherwise I can struggle.

clippetydoodah

My commute is 20 miles each way. I was finding that by the time I was few miles from home I was super
tired, even having had snacks before leaving work. However I tried using some SIS Go tablets in my water
bottle and it worked a treat. I have been feeling fine since using them. I was only having water before
and I guess I must have needed that bit extra to get me home.

al78

Guru
Yes. My commute is just under 10 miles each way and I always feel fatigued after each leg, plus accumulated fatigue through the week. My body is crap at reacting to stimulus by getting stronger, I just get more tired.

Fifelad

Veteran
I feel like that all the time on the pedal home, I have a physical job and it takes it out of me. It’s more uphill home too. I just plod home, but make sure I stick something down my neck before going

Bill Gates

I commuted into London Victoria and my job as a Duty Officer involved night shifts. At the time I was racing most weekends but after a night shift ended I forgot about doing anything too strenuous. TBH it ruined my racing so in the racing season I swapped as many as I could for Early and Late shifts. I might go out in the afternoons for a ride just to keep my legs ticking over but on the commute home in the early morning I was totalled. When you feel like that it doesn't do you any good to ride with any effort.

ExpatTyke

Yorkshireman in Deepest Somerset
I have the same experience - the ride home can be a struggle, especially if I've been on my feet and outside all day.

I tend to have a coffee and a belvita type bar just before I get changed - warms me up and gives me a bit of a recharge before getting on the bike.

I have Strava Beacon incidentally, so my wife can see where I am on the ride home - it means I come in and have either a hot cup of tea or a cold G&T ready for me, depending on the weather.

Bill Gates

Brings me back. After my commute home on a Tuesday and Thursday evening it was a bite to eat, a quick change, and out for 30 miles with a couple of club mates in all weathers in the dark. Then up at 5.30 am next morning for commute to work. No indoor training bike with eyes glued to whatever power I'm producing in the warm. F*ck that

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rosie 5678

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I thought I would update on my progress. I started to use my bike for going shopping etc so rather than just work. I have found that when I did do this it made a big difference to my overall enjoyment of my ride home. I'm still slow and overtaken by the vast majority of cyclists although I take comfort in thinking they are setting off for a leisure ride. I've started back riding after taking a few months off because of the weather (I'm just a coward) but I hope to cycle for as many nights as I can before the light nights come and I hope to cycle every night. I've even been looking at winter tyres! Thank you again x

Top Bottom