Faulty freehub after less than 600km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I bought a set of Shimano RS81 wheels a year ago from Ribble.
The rear has developed a "rough" patch once every wheel rotation, you can feel it when riding, and hear it quite distinctively as well. If you put your hand on the seatstay or chainstay you can feel vibrations at the same time.

So I took it to the LBS and they said the freehub was faulty.

They wheels have only done 590km, but Ribble are refusing to replace or refund them as the freehub isn't covered under warranty, as that's just wear and tear. Well, 600km of use does not equal wear and tear in my book.

The best they could offer is that I return the wheel to them, at my own expense, and they will send it on to Shimano for them to examine and investigate it. Who knows how long that will take, and I'll be without wheels for that duration.

Anyone else thinks that sucks?

For the hassle, I might as well just get the LBS to replace the freehub, which leaves me out of pocket for whatever that costs.

Considering it is Ribble you are dealing with, you have done well to get that out of them.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Crickey, not cheap wheels by any means. I'd be miffed too, but the small print says no. Keep us posted on how much the repair costs.

kiriyama

When I used to work in retail (outdoor shop) this sort of thing was pretty standard. Each supplier we dealt with had a different policy regarding faulty goods. Most would just be happy to replace the item to keep a good reputation (burghaus) but other companies wanted to inspect the item first (north face) and often were quite strict with what they considered wear and tear. ribble probably have a blanket policy that covers all faulty returns (easier for them) you have had the wheel over a year, worst case scenario is shimano are difficult and say it's wear and tear / corrosion / not maintained properly (your fault, no replacement) best case, they don't want to look bad admit its faulty and know you will slate them online so give you a replacement. Depends how much they give a shoot really! just keep hassling ribble until they cave in. Most retailers will cave in eventually even if it's just to get rid of you! Or just pay you lbs for a new one and save yourself weeks if not months of hassle.

P.s. If you do post it off, keep the receipt. If they admit fault then claim your postage back too!

p.p.s ! The retailer is legally obliged to deal with the return and all communications with shimano. Don't let them fob you off with an email address to some random shimano employee, essentially telling you to deal with it yourself.

good luck!

Last edited:
<SNIP>

p.p.s ! The retailer is legally obliged to deal with the return and all communications with shimano. Don't let them fob you off with an email address to some random shimano employee, essentially telling you to deal with it yourself.

good luck!

Nope, the buyer has the contract with the Ribble Rabble (TM) and so they have to deal with it by law - S.O.G.A as mentioned, and don't forget to use 'fitness for purpose' as well as 'of merchantable quality'. Shimano supplied the faulty item and should replace it for the Ribble Rabble but that is of no concern to the OP.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Buy wheels - and other stuff - from the bike shop in future.

They will attempt to look after you, not least because it's harder to fob someone off when their bike is in bits on the shop's floor and the customer is looking them straight in the eye.

The shop would also offer you a loan wheel, at least mine would.

Having said that, Madison/Shimano appear to be quite good with warranty claims, so you may get a result if you can motivate Ribble to send it away.

When the Alfine gear hub broke on my Rose bike, the local bike shop sent the wheel to Madison - good effort given the shop didn't supply it.

But I have been buying stuff on and off in there for about 20 years.

If you can't face dealing with Ribble, there's nothing to stop you asking your bike shop to send the wheel away.

They can only say yes or no.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Don't let Ribble have your wheel back if you're expecting to ride on it anytime soon....

I made that mistake and was left wheel less for 14 weeks. This was on a 1 month old wheel where the hub had split cleanly in half on a weld - obviously a manufacturing defect. Ribble wouldn't even return my phone calls.

Strangely enough I've never bought anything from Ribble again.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Caveat emptor, as they say.

So, given that replacing the freehub isn't the most expensive job, and I really don't want to be without wheels for months, I might just take the hit but never use Ribble again.

kiriyama

Nope, the buyer has the contract with the Ribble Rabble

Yeah thats what I meant by retailer... Ribble need to sort it out.

As you bought it online I'm pretty sure there are some more rules in your favour regarding long distance sales regulations (but that's beyond my knowledge)

Berties

Fast and careful!
I go to my local bike shop,who now me very well ,they recommend my wheels and know how i ride,any problems they get sorted asap,yes ribble can do them cheaper ,yes i can get them cheaper through contacts of mine elsewhere ,but my lbs have always done me proud,my magics have been back under warranty so many times they speak french,they send them back ,i don't have to bother,they have just fitted some hope hubs to my spring bike,and the service i get is ,worth more than paying a bit less for a wheel

Yeah thats what I meant by retailer... Ribble need to sort it out.

As you bought it online I'm pretty sure there are some more rules in your favour regarding long distance sales regulations (but that's beyond my knowledge)

No you said "The retailer is legally obliged to deal with the return and all communications with shimano" which is twaddle, this implies the OP needs to let Ribble check with shimano and have to wait for action. The contract is with Ribble who have to sort it out directly and is not in any way dependant on the manufacturer - though every salesperson/retail manager would have you believe it. What Ribble and Shimano do is of no consequence.

Top Bottom