Fausto Coppi clean up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Before you "persuade" it off: are the big cogs drilled? If so, they are no use to anyone and you should send the freewheel to me for safe disposal:okay:.

Err, sorry, I meant to say, if they are drilled your good luck continues.:smile:
yes they are drilled, but why is that good, apart from being lighter ?

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have three words for you Timber Murderer ... rare earth magnet. Have one close by when prising apart unknown components for its ability to capture errant springs, ball bearings, itty bitty nuts n'bolts n'washers etc on the fly. The only minus is that anything else of a ferrous nature will want to join the party and you'll end up with most of the contents of your toolbox attached.[/QUOTEAND MY NUTS?

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Oh yes and the point is that l can't get the bloody thing off 'cos l don't have the right tool for the job....but RJ the bike guy has an answer so l will see if it works. The one thing l am sure of is that l will not damage the freewheel, mainly because it looks and sounds the dogs whatsits !!

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
RJ has the solution...dig out an old socket of a size which will fit into the freewheel. Stick a strip of masking tape round the socket, mark depth and positions of slots in freewheel onto masking tape, grind away waste to create pins on old socket...BINGO ! (ever the optimist):cuppa:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I chickened out on the freewheel project today, so instead l spent the whole afternoon in the garden in my shorts in 25degrees C cleaning what once looked like this and now looks like this. What you might call "a victory" sorry couldn't resist that !

Attachments

• 2017-04-04 16.47.01.jpg
    2017-04-04 16.47.01.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 45
  • 2017-04-09 16.57.27.jpg
    2017-04-09 16.57.27.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 2017-04-09 16.58.29.jpg
    2017-04-09 16.58.29.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 55

gbb

Legendary Member
Those forks particually stylish, beautiful. I'm a tad jealous :blush:

Lighter IS good^_^

This thread on retrobike may be helpful. I like the strips of metal/vice idea.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150112

As an alternative internet-bikes.com in the Netherlands have a couple of different Regina compatible tools, and if you are going to keep buying Italian bikes you might as well get one sooner or later :okay:

RJ has the solution...dig out an old socket of a size which will fit into the freewheel. Stick a strip of masking tape round the socket, mark depth and positions of slots in freewheel onto masking tape, grind away waste to create pins on old socket...BINGO ! (ever the optimist):cuppa:
I tried that trick with a spark plug socket to get a uniglide freehub off - it just buckled like cheese! They don't make metal like they used to, do they?

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Lighter IS good^_^

This thread on retrobike may be helpful. I like the strips of metal/vice idea.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150112

As an alternative internet-bikes.com in the Netherlands have a couple of different Regina compatible tools, and if you are going to keep buying Italian bikes you might as well get one sooner or later :okay:
Oh boy, having read the retrobike link l am not at all sure l want to attempt it. I really don't want to ruin the thing , maybe l will just try to clean it as well as l can on the wheel. I will try internet-bikes.com first though.Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Oh boy, having read the retrobike link l am not at all sure l want to attempt it. I really don't want to ruin the thing , maybe l will just try to clean it as well as l can on the wheel. I will try internet-bikes.com first though.Thanks for the info.
I did bite the bullet today and started work on the wheels which l haven't touched since the bike was delivered. I chickened out and put the freewheel to one side and concentrated on the other one. Did the usual, cleaned up the rim got rid of the cobwebs (not joking) which festooned the spokes and tried to turn the spindle... seized solid with ye olde grease. Sorted it out cleaned it up and re greased without loosing any bearings, success! Flushed with afore mentioned success took a look at freewheel, counted teeth on largest ring ONLY 23 . So now l will have to remove the thing otherwise l will only be able to ride up and down the road outside the workshop, l will never get up the hill out of our village:sad:

Top Bottom