Fausto Coppi clean up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have begun to clean the Coppi in a box and have made an interesting discovery. I was under the impression that the frame was a sort of yucky cream colour but having blow-drier removed two of my least favourite stickers l find that it is in fact a sort of pearly white with a definite sparkle effect. l guess that over the years, exposure to sun and weather discoloured the original finish. Much happier now except that l will have to wet and dry the rest of the frame to match the newly revealed bits!
On the other hand there is no doubt about the forks, polished up a treat and even the Selle Royale saddle doesn't look too bad.:cuppa:

Attachments

• 2017-04-06 15.17.01.jpg
    2017-04-06 15.17.01.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 2017-04-06 15.18.26.jpg
    2017-04-06 15.18.26.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 64

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Italan ''Pearl' finishes were very popular in the 80s, will 'T-cut' not bring the colour back.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Wow! Is that even the same frame? Looking lush
Yep, lm definitely warming to this bike....so l thought l would take a look at the wheels just now, the rims are "ambrosio extra", not familiar with that brand.
The freewheel is a 6 speed G. Caimi Castano - Italy EVEREST and l don't have the correct size 2 prong socket to remove it.
I just had a look for one in the usual place and came up with some jokers offering the same freewheel for sale for more money than l paid for the whole bike. Either they are bonkers or l just got lucky !
Do you by chance know if its possible to lay hands on such a freewheel tool or do l have to try and make something to do the job ?

Yep, lm definitely warming to this bike....so l thought l would take a look at the wheels just now, the rims are "ambrosio extra", not familiar with that brand.
The freewheel is a 6 speed G. Caimi Castano - Italy EVEREST and l don't have the correct size 2 prong socket to remove it.
I just had a look for one in the usual place and came up with some jokers offering the same freewheel for sale for more money than l paid for the whole bike. Either they are bonkers or l just got lucky !
Do you by chance know if its possible to lay hands on such a freewheel tool or do l have to try and make something to do the job ?

They are a bit bonkers and you are a bit lucky... was it Gary Player who said " the more I practice the luckier I get".

Everest are the Italian brand that no one looks for because they are too busy googling Regina:laugh:

It seems that you need a (older) Regina freewheel tool.

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/924551-best-tool-job-everest-freewheel.html

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
They are a bit bonkers and you are a bit lucky... was it Gary Player who said " the more I practice the luckier I get".

Everest are the Italian brand that no one looks for because they are too busy googling Regina:laugh:

It seems that you need a (older) Regina freewheel tool.

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/924551-best-tool-job-everest-freewheel.html
Good job l like a challenge and Gary Player knew exactly what he was talking about . Thanks for the link :cuppa:

U

User32269

Looks brilliant, like the way the frame has come up.
You are a better man than me, any bizarre freewheel or bottom bracket I come across, I immediately pull out nail punches and hammer. Used with finesse of course!
Can't wait to see finished bike.

Thanks for your encouraging comment on the frame...l will admit to the hammer and punch method on the odd occasion, l especially like the showers of elusive little bearings l end up with ^_^

Before you "persuade" it off: are the big cogs drilled? If so, they are no use to anyone and you should send the freewheel to me for safe disposal:okay:.

Err, sorry, I meant to say, if they are drilled your good luck continues.:smile:

wonderdog

Thanks for your encouraging comment on the frame...l will admit to the hammer and punch method on the odd occasion, l especially like the showers of elusive little bearings l end up with ^_^
I have three words for you Timber Murderer ... rare earth magnet. Have one close by when prising apart unknown components for its ability to capture errant springs, ball bearings, itty bitty nuts n'bolts n'washers etc on the fly. The only minus is that anything else of a ferrous nature will want to join the party and you'll end up with most of the contents of your toolbox attached.

Top Bottom