"Faux Pas" or "How easy is it to offend people?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

bonj said:
any idea what you're supposed to do/not do in turkey?

(muslims etc?)

do.not.try.to.take.drugs.into.the.country

seriously, it's just like in the film Midnight Express. Not even a little toke for the airport.

Maz

Guru
bonj said:

(muslims etc?)
Turkey's pretty secular, to be honest. Whereabouts you off to?

surfgurl

When visiting Berlin be careful not to look too fascinated by the collection of Nazi artefacts in the National History museum.
There were not many people in that section of the museum, apart from me staring at all the things I had read about in books.
Likewise be careful in German bookshops when looking at the history books. Some chap came up to me and picked up a book about the Third Reich. I couldn't understand whether he was in favour or not.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
>>> any idea what you're supposed to do/not do in turkey?

Id recommend not going.... but if you must dont eat any of the local meat....

Based on the sh1t holes I had to work in when a service engineer in the food industry

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Blow your nose in much of the far east and you'll be looked at with horror.....

But hock up a massive green loogie and hawk it onto the pavement and no one will bat an eyelid.....

i work for an american company, and on occasion trying to make polite conversation with new clients whom i thought to be american they took great offence since they were from canada...they hate being thought of as american. i'm sure it works both ways darlings!

asterix

Comrade Member
bonj said:

(muslims etc?)

Get into conversation with the Kurdish Libertion Front. We did but I think we got away with it.. (Although they did blow a few places up later)

Maz

Guru
asterix said:
Get into conversation with the Kurdish Libertion Front. We did but I think we got away with it.. (Although they did blow a few places up later)
Didn't The KLF form a Techno band in the early 90s?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
dangerousjules said:
i work for an american company, and on occasion trying to make polite conversation with new clients whom i thought to be american they took great offence since they were from canada...they hate being thought of as american. i'm sure it works both ways darlings!

It doesn't because most Americans have never heard of Canada and if they have they think is in Milwaukee, so that side of it is never a problem.

Lardyboy said:
A customer we hadn't seen for a while comes in and is remarkably thin. (He was over twenty stone but now looked 12 stone). So one of the lads asks him what was his secret for the dramatic change. "Liver cancer" he repiled. You could hear a pin drop 50 miles away.

OT, but when my grandfather was slowly dying of bowel cancer in the early eighties, he had a colostomy. He was one of these larger than life people who everyone knew, wherever he went. One day he went into a newsagents with his willy out, and the chap behind the counter said: "Jack! I haven't seen you for ages! How are you?". To which my grandad replied "Oh, I'm top hole, old chap, absolutely couldn't be better. I've had thirty feet of my guts removed and my peanut sewn up.":biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:

(muslims etc?)

DON'T diss mudguards. The Ottoman Empire has a long and rich history of mudguard use...

(I may, or may not, have made that up...:biggrin:)

Like someone said, I gather Turkey is fairly secular, so just being basically polite probably covers it. Isn't there a thing in Muslim countries though about the feet being a bit taboo - you mustn't for example, put your feet up so that the soles point at someone - hence those people in Iraq hitting the fallen statues of Saddam with their shoes, it's a great insult. In fact, probably not just Muslim places, hence the big deal about Christ washing the disciples feet...

I guess for ladies, wearing modest dress (IE, not hotpants and a bikini top) and covering the head in amy sort of temple/mosque/church probably covers most of the world.

The Canadian/American thing is easy, any decent Canadian will have a maple leaf flag stitched onto their rucksack or something...:biggrin:

Top Bottom