"Faux Pas" or "How easy is it to offend people?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Lots of people seem to be setting off on holiday shortly, to various destinations around the globe. It is probably very easy to offend people when you are visiting other countries. There must be things that are easily done, but which cause extreme offence to other cultures.

For instance, IIRC, if a Japanese person gives you their business card, you are expected to look at it carefully and put it away safely, not just glance at it.

In Germany once, on an exchange trip, the host was horrified when someone started to take unpeeled potatoes from a dish. The protocol was that he would peel the potatoes and then serve people. That was doubly embarrassing, as I should have known that from my grandmother.

Can anyone think of other practices to avoid, so that people are not extremely offended? I emphasise the word "extremely" as opposed to mildly, in which case the offence would hopefully be forgiven or overlooked.

Maz

Guru
If you're ever invited to an Indian wedding reception, don't turn up on time. An hour late minimum is the norm. If you turn up on time, you'll be the only guests there and there'll be loads of people running around laying the tables n stuff.

postman

Legendary Member
So if there is a Mrs Will1985.Leave him in the car when you go for your English newspaper on holiday.

yenrod

Speicher said:
Lots of people seem to be setting off on holiday shortly, to various destinations around the globe. It is probably very easy to offend people when you are visiting other countries. There must be things that are easily done, but which cause extreme offence to other cultures.

For instance, IIRC, if a Japanese person gives you their business card, you are expected to look at it carefully and put it away safely, not just glance at it.

In Germany once, on an exchange trip, the host was horrified when someone started to take unpeeled potatoes from a dish. The protocol was that he would peel the potatoes and then serve people. That was doubly embarrassing, as I should have known that from my grandmother.

Can anyone think of other practices to avoid, so that people are not extremely offended? I emphasise the word "extremely" as opposed to mildly, in which case the offence would hopefully be forgiven or overlooked.

Expecting an Italian to understand French, cause, in a drunken slur (mine) 'well its all the bloody same.... :thumbsdown:'

:sad:

There are parts of the world where, if you are enjoying your locally-sourced meal, it may be unwise to announce loudly, "This is the dog's bo**ocks!" as you may unwittingly be stating a truth.

Melvil

Don't show patronising TV adverts showing cliches of etiquette in foreign countries in some misquided attempt to persuade customers you're not a soulless corporation - yes, that means you Mr international bank.

Maz

Guru
TheDoctor said:
In India, you eat with the right hand. Only the right hand. Never, ever the left.
That's true, and in Pakistan too. The left hand is reserved for arse-wiping and other unhygeinic duties.

Top Bottom