Favourite mug?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I admit I might have a problem. I find I tend to get an absolute favourite hot beverage mug and get quite attached to it. Just to name a few, I've got very fond memories of a lovely Sheffield Wednesday mug (great size, fantastic blue piping), a National Trust "His Lordship" mug (one of my all time favourites it has to be said, as it allowed me to lord over my family and I still miss it to this day -you obviously can't buy them over here in the States) and I also had a lovely Yorkshire Post mug. All of these have sadly gone to the broken pieces dustpan in the sky.

My current favourite? Hadley's Point Campground mug from Bar Harbor, Maine (now with faded lettering as it has had so much use, and it is a ceramic mug, not an enamel one even though it may look like it). I got it a couple of years ago when I was up in Bar Harbor camping, and have found it to be a perfect size and feel for my cuppas. Once I get a favourite mug, all others are eschewed and even if it's dirty or in the dishwasher, I get it out and wash it to use it. Has anyone else got this same affliction?

mug.jpg

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I have a large mug with a lid I got when I lived in Hong Kong many years ago. It has survived since late 80's.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Yes, I have this issue.

I used to have a Fareham triathlon mug, and had it for years and years. It was just the right size, the handle was perfect, it was a nice blue colour, it was well earned.

When we moved from Fareham to Littlehampton, my girlfriend dropped it down the stairs and smashed it to a thousand tiny bits :cry:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
most of my mugs are my favourite mug...

the one i brought back from the Guggenheim in New York (it's just matt black, with Guggenheim written on it, in gloss black)
the one my mate Anna gave me (penguin classics cover, The Invisible Man)
the one my mate Linda gave me (social butterfly... I'm really not)
the one my mum gave me (cycling themed... a life behind bars)
the one I designed myself as a gift for Anna (there was only supposed to one in the whole world, but the 1st was a misprint so there's 2. I've got the misprint)
the one commemorating my secondary school's 50th anniversary (37 years old and would be nigh on impossible to replace)
the R2D2 mug (I'm a big kid and it's a big mug)

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
We bought some sort of tall mugs with flared bases at our first house 22 years ago. To this day 3 have survived and I won't drink coffee out of anything else.
And my morning cup of tea has to be in the squat TdF mug my Mother in law bought me for Christmas a few years back.

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I've never felt such vindication reading some of these replies (really)... I am not alone! There are other retro grouch muggers in this world! Anyway, would love to see pics of favourite mugs.

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Yes, I'm afflicted with favourite mugs disease.

My first favourite was a Pantone yellow mug that got broken but it looked like this:

I can definitely see why you like that yellow mug.

I have an old pint & 1/2 (?) Land Rover mug, that actually has a crust in it, that can be felt!!!

Sadly, I retired that one, & now use one of these
28163D-600x600.jpg

At work, I have one of the 'Haynes' workshop manual decalled tin-mugs
That way, if I knock it out of my locker, it won't break..................... it's chipped to hell, & is (yes really!!) oil-stained....

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10214847983265411&set=a.10202729411108681

Brandane

Legendary Member
This one:

I acquired it (and another identical one) while working in a pub in 1982 when we got the said McEwan's cask conditioned ale installed.
It holds a pint, and because of the thickness of the pottery it holds heat for ages. Ideal for tea! Both mugs still in use, but one has a slight chip on the rim.

Top Bottom