Favourite mug?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My favorite mug is actually quite pedestrian. I have a set of vintage Victor diner mugs. I religiously must drink my morning coffee from one of these mugs of perfection. They feel perfect in my hand and are thick and heavy so they keep my coffee hot for as long as it takes me to drink it. Here's a pic I took from the internet.

View attachment 572658

I didn't know the history of Victor mugs, or that they were called that, so thank you. I have a couple from a Waffle House that I use often in GA. When I asked the waitress if I could buy a couple I may as well have been asking if I could marry her father. 😄 I'm guessing she's not been asked to sell the crockery before. Still, she accepted five bucks for two, I imagine they replace them easily.
20210220_102157.jpg

Fergs

Guru
The reason I have not heard of them is that they are based in Stromness, Orkney which is a few hundred miles north of Tobermory.
True indeed. They move about a bit, though, and I got the mug during a week on the Sound of Mull, so that’s the place (and memories) that I associate with it. I loved the diving, the place and the people, so that’s why it’s my favourite.
I’m impressed with your finds. All we found in the week was a Cunard fork and some scallops.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Über Member
I didn't know the history of Victor mugs, or that they were called that, so thank you. I have a couple from a Waffle House that I use often in GA. When I asked the waitress if I could buy a couple I may as well have been asking if I could marry her father. 😄 I'm guessing she's not been asked to sell the crockery before. Still, she accepted five bucks for two, I imagine they replace them easily.
View attachment 574759

There are lots of imposters out there. In order for it to be a Victor mug it would say it on the bottom. It would have been imprinted into the material. My understanding is that Victor used to make the insulation for electrical lines. That porcelein like substance you would see at the junctions of high power electric lines. I guess they also made coffee mugs. Two for $5 is a great price. I've seen them on eBay for $10 each. My son was in a thrift store looking at clothes and wandered over to the housewares area. He saw a mug and facetimed me. "Dad, I found a mug like yours, should I buy it?" I asked if it said Victor on the bottom and he said yes. I asked how much. $1. I said snap that sucker up. I like that Waffle House mug. Looks like it could be authentic. Check the bottom.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
There are lots of imposters out there. In order for it to be a Victor mug it would say it on the bottom. It would have been imprinted into the material. My understanding is that Victor used to make the insulation for electrical lines. That porcelein like substance you would see at the junctions of high power electric lines. I guess they also made coffee mugs. Two for $5 is a great price. I've seen them on eBay for $10 each. My son was in a thrift store looking at clothes and wandered over to the housewares area. He saw a mug and facetimed me. "Dad, I found a mug like yours, should I buy it?" I asked if it said Victor on the bottom and he said yes. I asked how much. $1. I said snap that sucker up. I like that Waffle House mug. Looks like it could be authentic. Check the bottom.
No, sadly it is another (Probably cheaper) make, not Victor but I liked your input which made me learn a fair bit today about US diner mugs, so thank you again. I still think two of them for 5 bucks was probably a good arrangement, even the memories are worth that - I would normally be in GA 5 to 7 times a year, but I now haven't been to Georgia since Jan 2020. I agree with you that they're a really nice design to drink from, thick and sturdy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Aaaah they look well used, with a fine patina!

And just for @Nigeyy , some dishwasher-faded goodies that have been our Sunday pot-of-tea-in-bed mugs for nearly a decade.

The kids bought me a black Le Creuset mug one Xmas. Shortly afterwards I put in on the roof of the car half full of coffee, while I put my tools in the boot. 3 miles up the road I stopped the first set of traffic lights and it slid along the roof rail, tumbled noisily down the windscreen and the bonnet and fell out of sight in front of the car. Bugger. As the lights turned green I jumped out to pick up what I could of the remains. A couple walking by pointed and laughed. And as I rounded the front of the car there it was, sitting happily upright on its base, completely (and I mean completely) unscathed. There was no coffee in it unfortunately. I've more recently taken my cordless drill on a 20 mile drive on the roof.

Top Bottom