Favourite old film

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
The Sound of Music (unsurprisingly)

I'm with Rich P - anything with Audrey Hepburn but particularly Breakfast at Tiffany's

Gone with the Wind

The original Railway Children

Cheddar George

oober member
David Lean's "Great Expectations"

will

Bicycle Thief - 1949 (he said trying to talk cycling)

But I can watch Casablanca over and over again as well as The Wizard of Oz

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Graham O said:
Hell Drivers - completely agree, a really good film

The Cruel Sea anyone?

And on telly, the scary Singing Ringing Tree. Didn't understand it at the time (black and white tv and I was in single digits) but it was frightening!! Apparently it was some strange Hungarian series.

Oh yes...The Singing Ringing Tree...wierd, but i loved it, whatever the hell iit was meant to be telling me ???
Some other good reminders here..
War of the Worlds (original)...scared the pants off me as a kid
The Cruel Sea

Zoiders

The Dirty Dozen, Kellys Hero's

Bad Day At Black Rock

Plenty of others, Hitchcock features strongly on the list

The trouble with calling a film "old" is this, cinema is around a century old now, the films of which generation count as old? our parents? our grandparents?

I am only 29, yet there are some classic films from my childhood now which are the same age as the films of my parents generation were when I first saw them

Whats the cut off point?

Starwars for instance in 30 years old, on the other hand the film Zulu was probably only around 20 years old the first time I saw it, I am not saying these films are classics, just using them as examples

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Does 1999 count as old? In which case I would suggest "The Thirteenth Floor". This is an extremely boring-sounding title, for IMO a very intriguing film. Hint; Peeps who like computerisationing, will, I think, like this film, and so will fans of "Criminal Minds" with Vincent D'Onofrio, as he is in as well.:laugh: It takes a while to "get going" but give it a chance.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The thirteenth floor was good but I wouldn't call it old (although I knew someone at university who genuinely believed that 1999 was the greatest year for films ever LOL)! It was a vintage year for that sort of film with The Matrix too and eXistenZ.

graham56

Guru
The Smallest Show on Earth, starring

Peter Sellers
Margaret Rutherford
Bernard Miles

absolutley brilliant.

col

Legendary Member
longers said:
Is there a new film in the Aliens franchise? I'm sure I saw a flyer or promo somewhere.

Not heard of this?i am a fan of the aliens films,one and two being the best for me.Would be interested to hear if there is though?

Top Bottom