Fed up with commuting with a rucksack...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm fed up with commuting with my rucksack, mainly because by the time I arrive I look like I've lain in a puddle and have an invisible wet snake curled around my shoulders. But I also don't want to put panniers on my spindly singlespeed.

My laptop is huge and heavy and I'm expected to take it home each night, although I might renegotiate because everything we do is cloud based. I do take quite a lot of food to work though, and a nice big flask of coffee.

I've seen photos of a rucksack dealie that appears to attach to the seat tube and stem, has anyone had any experience of this method of getting goods from home to work?

Norm

You could try a different rucksack. Mine (a Lowe Alpine Airzone) doesn't get me a sweaty back at all, which is amazing considering it is usually dripping from my forehead by the end of a ride.

Alternatively, I use a Topeak rack which clamps to the seat post and takes one of the sliding-mount rack bags with panniers. That's a lovely piece of kit, takes a huge volume if required but, with nothing in the panniers, all zips up quite tidily and the clamp means that the rack comes off in seconds if you aren't commuting.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I've got a Lowe alpine airzone and it is much better than non aerated rucksacks.

Other options include normal racks such as a Tubus fly with a pannier (they can be fixed with P-clips if you don't have mounting bosses on the bike), A bagman and Carradice saddle bag, a Messenger bag, or a seatpost rack.

jamin100

Guru
I loved my Topeak trunk bag as it had the benefit of allowing me to zip up the panniers when I wasn't using them making the bike a bit more aero dynamic

Only reason I'm selling them ;) is because I've realised that I don't have to carry that much kit anymore so have brought a large ortlieb saddle bag

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Look at a carradice saddle bag.

I've tried plenty of bags with 'air flow backs' and I still end up sweating like a pig.

defy-one

Dude - get a rack - get a pannier -job done.
I put my whole rucksack inside the pannier and ride into London. 20 miles each way. If i can do it, a man of your pedigree most certainly can :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I loved my Topeak trunk bag as it had the benefit of allowing me to zip up the panniers when I wasn't using them making the bike a bit more aero dynamic

Only reason I'm selling them ;) is because I've realised that I don't have to carry that much kit anymore so have brought a large ortlieb saddle bag

I have the Topeak trunk / pannier combo - great - happliy takes a laptop in one of the panniers. I wouldn't want to carry a laptop on my back - recipe for utter nastiness if you are unlucky enough to come off the bike, may break more than the laptop :ohmy:

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I have the Topeak trunk / pannier combo - great - happliy takes a laptop in one of the panniers. I wouldn't want to carry a laptop on my back - recipe for utter nastiness if you are unlucky enough to come off the bike, may break more than the laptop :ohmy:

I have come off while wearing the laptop, it's testament to how well made the titanium shelled Dell machines are made!

The worst bit about carrying a laptop on your back is when the machine doesn't go into standby properly when I shut the lid - it gets roasting hot by the time I get home!

vickster

Legendary Member
I have come off while wearing the laptop, it's testament to how well made the titanium shelled Dell machines are made!

The worst bit about carrying a laptop on your back is when the machine doesn't go into standby properly when I shut the lid - it gets roasting hot by the time I get home!

Frankly I wouldn't give a flying whatsit about a work laptop, much more worried about breaking my neck / back. You can get racks that go on the seatpost that are compatible with the slidy DX bags, just need to check the weight I guess

Norm

Those Topeak bags look pretty great...
Yeah, I like mine, find it very convenient. If you want to use the panniers, you'll need to get the MTX Dual Side frame additions as well as the MTX beam rack.

Note also that there are three different beam racks. The A-type angles up from the seat post clamp, the E-Type is flat and the V-Type angles down from the seat post clamp. This is to get the rack as low as possible to the rear tyre, for stability. My road bikes take the V-Type but have a little look at your bike before buying, if you do go that route.

Top Bottom