fed up with punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
just had three in one ride..each one on a new inner tube as I carried two spares with me. each in different places. Gatorskin hardshells. 110psi. double rim tape inside in case it's spokes coming through but th elbs told me thats almost impossible. Ha ve had a really close look at the tyre at home...cant see anything still in there..but there are 4 or five places where clearly some glass or stone has cut the tyre. All punctures are on the rear tyre only. Tyres were new about xmas time.

Could it be the spokes?? Bloke in LBS told me the ambrosia rims (came with bike) are rubbish..is that true? I dont want to go spening a lot of cash on better rims if its an unlikely cause. I am a heavy rider but on some rides everything is fine...and each time I speak to a LBS about it they all say it should not be an issue for a heavier rider...

...maybe I jus tneed a winge...had along walk back :banghead: :pump::banghead::pump::banghead:

This has nothing to do with mudguards as they were fitted:laugh:

Rob500

Sorry to hear of your troubles Big.

I'd a similar experience last year with continued 'different' punctures on the rear tyre. In the end however they all turned out to be for the same reason: A small sliver of glass which I could never find. I had always put the tyre back on any old way so the next puncture always looked like a 'new' one. Learned my lesson. Now I line the tyre name up with the valve.

Its hard to diagnose without seeing but is the join between the two rim taped smooth ? Or is there a very small flint (or similar) in the tread which only just pokes through when the tyre is under pressure. As above try being pernickety about the placement of your valve so you can perform a better diagnosis establish a pattern perhaps.
As with Ambrosio rims I borrowed one 500 miles + ago and cant fault it. I'm a light rider but the bloke I borrowed it off is a heavier powerhouse and he doesn't seem to have a problem, if he did given he's an experienced racer I don't think he'd buy them; me thinks the lbs was just trying to get you to spend.

Oh and my last p'ture was cause by the mud guards the bracket had worn through the side wall ;)

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Cheers chaps..

I have been over th erear tyre meticulous ly, but still cant find the culprit..I guess if it is glass it would be tough to spot...I have swaped the tyres over (front/back) so if it goes again only this time oin the front I will know its something in that tyre I guess.

I'm tempted to get some of those schwalbe durano's ..only they aint cheap..and I only just shelled out for these gatorskins.

Hopefully you are right about the rims...cant afford better ones anyway...seesm to me that when I have th etyres at 100psi -110psi there are less punctures...as soon a s i go up to 115psi or 120psi i get them all the time it seems. So either i'm a fat b'astid or there is some minute glass or something still stuck in there as you suggest.

Thinking MTB for tomororws loop ^_^

the snail

Guru
Cheers chaps..

I have been over th erear tyre meticulous ly, but still cant find the culprit..I guess if it is glass it would be tough to spot...I have swaped the tyres over (front/back) so if it goes again only this time oin the front I will know its something in that tyre I guess.
I don't know if you did this, but pinching the sides of the tyre together will open up cuts in the tyre so you can see any glass hiding in the tyre, and do the same for the inside of the tyre. As Rob said, lining the tyre marking up with the valve and finding the hole in the tube before you change it makes finding anything left in the tyre a lot quicker.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
When checking tyres for glass and flints, it pays to flex the tyres quite a bit, holes often show up to reveal bits of glass, flints, bits of metal that would go hidden within the tyre until it pushes through the puncture belt to cause a puncture. Also when you remove the tube, check where the puncture is by putting some air in the tube, if you're getting a single hole in a place that faces the tread, then suspect it was caused by something that has penetrated the tyre, if you're getting punctures somewhere else then look somewhere else, or a 'snakebite' puncture (two holes on either side of the tube) then that suggests either you're riding with not enough pressure in the tyre, or the tube has not been fitted correctly.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Further to the above; if you can't find what caused it, I tend to bash the inside of the tyre where the puncture was, to blunten anything I missed, & give the tyre a real good going over when I get back home. I once found a tiny piece of wire by doing this. It was obviously being pushed through just far enough to puncture the tube when riding over some object, & retracting when I was looking for it. Worst one I've ever had for finding!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I dig into any cuts in the tyre with a thin knife and often find slivers and glass / stone embedded in the tyre , the assuming the cut is not to big i superglue it shut .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I dig into any cuts in the tyre with a thin knife and often find slivers and glass / stone embedded in the tyre , the assuming the cut is not to big i superglue it shut .

Yep, check your tyres on a regular basis, and I mean after every ride then you will get very few punctures. Last year I did 10,000 commuting (SE London's finest potholed, crap strewn streets) and leisure miles and I can count the number of punctures I had on one hand.

kishan

you could have small tone or small piece of glass from the road gone under the tyre and tubes,strip it down wipe the rim and etc clean and see if that resolves it.

Top Bottom