FedEX, import duty, incorrect invoice, debt collector - HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Best of luck with this one. Letters and a follow-up phone call are probably your best options, keeping a cool head and a log of everything.

Years ago in one of our previous rental properties, we started to get a number of letter addressed to the 'owner/occupier'. We forwarded them to our landlady's agent (unopened) as we were meant to, but sometime later we got another one and knowing that our landlady was an old woman in her 90's (and having no direct contact with her) and that our agent was seriously ill in hospital at the time, we opened it after much deliberation (& time) because it had an open immediately stamp on it and looked rather official. It turned out to be a court summons for non-payment of mains water & mains sewage and the court date was only 2 days away :eek: The bill was for well over £3,000 of unpaid rates. We had to laugh because we were on a private water supply and an ancient cesspit with a natural soak away for the top 1/3. It took 1 phone call to sort the matter out. I rang Thames Water up and spoke with their legal team and tactfully explained that if they wanted to connect the property to main water & main sewage ... but there was no way whatsoever I was going to attend court for non-payment of services not being received! I knew there was not a hope in any chance of them connecting us up.

ayceejay

Guru
I wonder if, by paying an invoice addressed to someone else you are owning up to being that person (or using it as an alias) in the eyes of the law. If so and the collection agency has other debts related to that name will you be liable for them too?

classic33

Leg End Member
I wonder if, by paying an invoice addressed to someone else you are owning up to being that person (or using it as an alias) in the eyes of the law. If so and the collection agency has other debts related to that name will you be liable for them too?
There is that possibilty. Its Pandoras box waiting to be opened.
There also exists the possibility that other debts have built up under that name. So once one is paid the rest may follow.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Which begs the question, how do you know the invoice is referring to your parcel?

You should not have surmised and entered into correspondence in the first instance, you should (if you opened the correspondence) have photocopied it to prove it had been addressed incorrectly, and returned it unknown to the sender. Believe me debt collection agencies receive thousands of these back every day, and would proceed then accordingly. If they found they had addressed the letters wrong then they would have to rectify, not you.
Because the item is on the invoice, along with some reference numbers etc. It is definitely an invoice for the duty of the item I recieved.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
There is that possibilty. Its Pandoras box waiting to be opened.
There also exists the possibility that other debts have built up under that name. So once one is paid the rest may follow.

I suspect not, if it was made clear as Sara says that the particular item and its reference numbers positively identify it to being her delivered goods, she could (although I wouldn't) pay up specific to that item on the basis of all other details being correct and play the scared of the bailiffs barging their way in card if the police suddenly decided she was Carlos Slim's British front.

classic33

Leg End Member
Same address, different person on the paperwork, supplied a year later!
Something wrong and I think there is a time limit on such "requests". Hence the debt collection agency being used.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You've tried to "own up" so it's not as if you're trying to weasle out of it, but i'd not get involved in negotiating with debt collections - you're not the person named - so tough luck to them!

It's possible that's an entirely different bill for all you know, so i'd not be paying it either

That surprised me, 1 pair of bib shorts and one top from Trek USA...........no signature required, delivered, no import duty............happy bunny

A debt is enforceable for five or seven years (depending on the nature of the debt). One year is nothing...
There's no time limits on debts unless it was not being pursued during those 7 years. As it's now being pursued then can chase it for as long as they need.

Top Bottom