FedEX, import duty, incorrect invoice, debt collector - HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
See I've done that several times, and each time they agree to send invoice out to my name. Never arrives. Now I have a letter from this collection company, addressed to fictitious person!
Then 'you' owe them nothing. So when they call and ask for this person you can honestly say not known at this address. Start returning any future mail to sender marked as not known at this address.

Mickthemove

Über Member
Don't rely on anything verbal, get it all in writing! Write to fedex and the collections agency explaining that no person of that address has that name and is not known to the occupier. Then send it via all available methods, snail mail with proof of posting (free) email and fax, and keep records of when they were sent.

Collection agencies take no notice of phone calls saying that person does not live there, as they hear that all day every day, and will still pitch up at you door!

U

User33236

You are not liable to pay an invoice not addressed to you. As above return all mail with the fictitious name as 'not known at this address'.

I also find it unusual that they handed over the parcel before the import duty (plus admin fee) was paid. I order from the USA quite frequently and the couriers have always asked for payment at the point of delivery or I pay up front via the seller where possible.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am coming from a different angle on this one, you know you owe them something and you do, that is a definite. I would send a recorded deliver letter to Frederick Smith, chairman, president and chief executive. Telling him your problem and asking him to reimburse you for the cost of postage of the letter. You should write the words Chairmans Complaint on both the envelope and the letter, this will get an immediate response.

It is a bit of a peculiar amount as normally there would be VAT as well as duty and clearance to pay, which as you know would have made the amount higher. Duty varies on the product you bring in, the one I do carries a duty of 3.4%

I use DHL most times for my import carriage and they charge £10 for the work of handling clearance, to be honest I do not mind this amount and it seems fair.

I hope you get things sorted quickly.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@Sara_H OFF's response was going to be my one too. Technically correct but does not make the problem go away.

I've had dealings with debt recovery in the past over Sons phone contract, they are generally Ok if you ring and speak to them as you've done here in reasonable manner and will seek to help. I guess the overbearing nature of the initial contact is as much a frightener as any sort of legal/useful information.

screenman

Legendary Member
Then 'you' owe them nothing. So when they call and ask for this person you can honestly say not known at this address. Start returning any future mail to sender marked as not known at this address.

She does owe them something, she has admitted that. They just have not sent her a correct invoice yet.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Thank you for the advice everyone. I've sent two recorded letters yesterday, one to FedEx and one to the collection agency, detailing the situation and the th previous conversations (which I happen to have recordings of).

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I would return any such mail to sender marking it not known at this address. (And there's nothing wrong with opening mail correctly addressed to your house but with the wrong name on it. The post office don't deliver to names but to addresses.)

Even if you are liable to pay some sort of duty, I would not get into the turmoil of trying to unravel this for Fedex, it's their job to correctly invoice people. Nor would I volunteer any other information but wait for them to get it right. How do you know they haven't mixed up this other person's debt with your address and vice versa, or simply wrongly attributed it to your address?

You're absolutely right not to pay any invoice in another's name at your address. You need to guard against becoming the victim of a scam since this other name may have many more debts behind it which, if you pay the Fedex bill, could have a stream of debt collectors and bailiffs coming to your door. Then try convincing them that you're not the person they're after!

GC

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
[QUOTE 2971559, member: 259"]If DeadEx are sending an invoice somebody must have signed for it. Which name was on the delivery docket?[/quote]
It was my name on the parcel when it was delivered, but all the invoice and all the subsequent letters have been addressed to the wrong name.

It was my name on the parcel when it was delivered, but all the invoice and all the subsequent letters have been addressed to the wrong name.

Which begs the question, how do you know the invoice is referring to your parcel?

You should not have surmised and entered into correspondence in the first instance, you should (if you opened the correspondence) have photocopied it to prove it had been addressed incorrectly, and returned it unknown to the sender. Believe me debt collection agencies receive thousands of these back every day, and would proceed then accordingly. If they found they had addressed the letters wrong then they would have to rectify, not you.

spen666

Legendary Member
Simply write to Fed Ex and tell them that Mr MADE UP NAME does not reside at your address and has never resided at that addres and that under the Data Protection Act they have a duty to ensure the data they hold is accurate, so you require them to amend their records accordingly

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Mr Boring here, as ever: take a trip to Citizens Advice. This is where they live, and they really know this kind of thing. And they're free.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Which begs the question, how do you know the invoice is referring to your parcel?

You should not have surmised and entered into correspondence in the first instance, you should (if you opened the correspondence) have photocopied it to prove it had been addressed incorrectly, and returned it unknown to the sender. Believe me debt collection agencies receive thousands of these back every day, and would proceed then accordingly. If they found they had addressed the letters wrong then they would have to rectify, not you.
Bang on! I would've just ignored a demand for money that is not made to my legal name and title and returned to sender.

Oh, and if bailiffs turn up, don't under any circumstances let them in, even if they appear friendly, amicable and keen to sort things out. Once you've let them in once, they are free to return at their leisure, force entry and remove property.

Top Bottom