FedEX, import duty, incorrect invoice, debt collector - HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Totally off topic, long and boring, some advice if you will please.

Over a year ago I received a gift from a friend. It had been ordered from USA. When I received the parcel via FedEx I had no idea that an invoice for import duty would follow, neither apparently, did my friend.

Any way, a few weeks after parcel arrived, so did the the invoice for £26. I was a bit shocked at this tax on receiving a present (!) but looking into it, it's all legal and above board. BUT, the invoice has come to my address but has a made up name on it. I rang FedEX and told them this who said they would send invoice in the correct name. Heard nothing, got a letter from their solicitor, rang them, said no problem we'll send invoice with the correct name.

This week after months of hearing nothing, a letter has been deliverd to my address with the made up name from a debt recovery agency.

I don't deny I owe the money, but am I wrong to expect the invoice to actually be addressed to me? After all, legally, I shouldn't really have opened the letters since they weren't addressed to me.

Would you all just pay up? I should expect the invoice in my name?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If it was a gift then it's your friend who owes the money, not you.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
If it was a gift then it's your friend who owes the money, not you.
Apparently it's legal and I am liable, I don't dispute that. But I don't really want to pay an invoice thats not in my name. Just wondered what others would do if they were in a similar situation.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I have some Trek clothing coming from the USA............will this be subject to import duty?
Probably. It depends what the value is. I think the present I received was worth about £175, the import duty was £26. I don't mind paying it, but I think the invoice should have my name on it.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have some Trek clothing coming from the USA............will this be subject to import duty?

Yes unless you are lucky and the package is not inspected at the incoming sorting office - I believe that there are two import sorting centres, one is Park Royal I can't remember the other one.

I think that the threshold is £19. It used to be higher. Some retailers try to circumvent the system by under declaring the value of the goods and Customs and Excise are wised up to this - they occasionally contact sender and recipient and ask them for the value of the goods....

The thing that sticks in my craw is the administration charge - it's often several times more than the revenue collected.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Ah not too bad then................:sad:

There's a range of tariffs - some make your eyes water. Don't forget that there's an admin/collection charge on top of the import duty.

I wouldn't pay any sort of invoice that doesn't have my name on it. I see nothing wrong in calling the debt agency and telling them there's is no one by that name at your address.

BTW I open all mail that comes to my home as I've seen 2 false claims for credit cards being made using my home as the mailing address.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I wouldn't pay any sort of invoice that doesn't have my name on it. I see nothing wrong in calling the debt agency and telling them there's is no one by that name at your address.

BTW I open all mail that comes to my home as I've seen 2 false claims for credit cards being made using my home as the mailing address.
See I've done that several times, and each time they agree to send invoice out to my name. Never arrives. Now I have a letter from this collection company, addressed to fictitious person!

classic33

Leg End Member
There is the problem that if you do pay, in someone elses name, that you'd be leaving yourself open to further claims.
If they do attend your property, under no circumstances let them in. You will have been deemed as inviting them in. Speak outside with the door closed.

Top Bottom