Feelgood tip from Cycle.Travel!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For anyone that uses Cycle.Travel, there is a feature I've only recently become aware of that allows you to display several routes on the one map - it's handy for breaking one long route into smaller sections but being able to see the whole route in one go.

To use the feature, place the relevant files in the one folder and when you open up your "Journeys" page you should see "Map" beside the relevant folder. Click on it and you get the map with each route in a different color, alongside a list of the individual routes. Handy!

But... for fun, I put all my longish tours into the one folder and this was the result!
MyTours.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Nice! I'll give that a go

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
For anyone that uses Cycle.Travel, there is a feature I've only recently become aware of that allows you to display several routes on the one map - it's handy for breaking one long route into smaller sections but being able to see the whole route in one go.

To use the feature, place the relevant files in the one folder and when you open up your "Journeys" page you should see "Map" beside the relevant folder. Click on it and you get the map with each route in a different color, alongside a list of the individual routes. Handy!

But... for fun, I put all my longish tours into the one folder and this was the result!
View attachment 472358

Thanks :smile:I'm only just getting to grips with non analogue mapping for touring.

I don't like the idea of having just one route inputted, that I'm then committed to following.

Far too inclined to wander about..

I think I need to book myself a session with a patient tecchie person to talk me through it all though

When someone says "Oh it's so simple, a child of five could do it" I know they're trying to reassure, but in truth that just makes me feel more stupid, when I don't get it straight away.. :shy:

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Thanks :smile:I'm only just getting to grips with non analogue mapping for touring.

I don't like the idea of having just one route inputted, that I'm then committed to following.

I think I need to book myself a session with a patient tecchie person to talk me through it all though

When someone says "Oh it's so simple, a child of five could do it" I know they're trying to reassure, but in truth that just makes me feel more stupid, when I don't get it straight away.. :shy:

Ha! Don't worry about it! ^_^

The best way to learn, I have found, is to just use the thing. Test it out in different scenarios and see how it reacts.

I too am more of a wanderer. What I do if there are specific places I want/need to be is that I'll make several routes ending in that place from several different startpoints or in several different ways from the one startpoint.
That means I'm as free to wander as I please but if the poop hits the ventilator and I need to get to my destination, I can pull up the closest version of the route I need and follow that. I like the comfort that gives me, especially when far from home. It's not unusual to meet someone along the way and to cycle with them for a while. If that means wandering off my preplanned course I can do that with total confidence that I won't end up lost.

Different gps units will deal with that in different ways.
Different planners will devise different routes. It's a matter of choosing what's most appropriate for you and your bike.
I think a lot of the time people get frustrated with their gps units when the problem actually exists in their planning.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thankyou.. Sound advice..
And reassurance

Especially as, when in Spain its going to be harder to ask for directions.

I'm unlikely to encounter an Irish man, telling me that "I wouldn't start from here if I were you"

That did actually happen to me once.. In Yorkshire.

I'm sure he was just playing along with his countrymans comedy trope.

Or at least I really hope so.. ^_^

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
T

I'm unlikely to encounter an Irish man, telling me that "I wouldn't start from here if I were you"

That did actually happen to me once.. In Yorkshire.

I'm sure he was just playing along with his countrymans comedy trope.

Or at least I really hope so.. ^_^

I am Irish! ^_^^_^

One of the great things about Spain is that there are lots of new motorways that have drawn most of the traffic from the old main roads leaving perfect roads for cycling. Not everywhere, but certainly a lot. Most of the traffic you encounter then is local and very bike friendly.

I picked up a map locally, but it didn't show the smallest roads. I was able to follow my nose easily enough. Watch out in the Basque country - the town names are often in Basque and may not be what you're expecting!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I am Irish! ^_^^_^

One of the great things about Spain is that there are lots of new motorways that have drawn most of the traffic from the old main roads leaving perfect roads for cycling. Not everywhere, but certainly a lot. Most of the traffic you encounter then is local and very bike friendly.

I picked up a map locally, but it didn't show the smallest roads. I was able to follow my nose easily enough. Watch out in the Basque country - the town names are often in Basque and may not be what you're expecting!

Well done for being Irish!!

I must get back there too for some cycling one day.

I'm trying to work out if the Cantabrian mountains will be too much for me.. Or not.
I guess there's one way to find out.

I use pre-planned routes on long trips - gpxs loaded into the Garmin Etrex20.

They are point to point routes - just marking the turns with straight lines between.

I often wander off to look at things, go sit in a spoons for a while or whatever. Since the Garmin isn't doing any routing I don't trouble it with frantically trying to re-route me, and using more battery power in the process.

After my cultural wandering it is pretty easy to zoom out and get back on the line.

If not, since I number all the points, I just get the Garmin to autoroute me to a numbered point I know is a little bit ahead. The Garmin's autorouting works fine over short to medium distances.

Do you have a GPS mudsticks?

If not and thinking of getting one - be careful.

The unwary can often pay too much for something less fit for purpose.

Top Bottom