Feeling inadequate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
How about a lollipop stick tie wrapped to your forks or stays so that it rattles against your spokes

DogmaStu

Higher quality hubs are generally 'louder' than cheap ones. 'Louder' because the pitch is greater. This is because they have a greater number of spring-loaded pawls engaging the main hub. More pawls, more engagement points - this means quicker engagement from coasting to pedalling.

Campagnolo are 'noisy' - certainly the Super Record, C-Record of yore I used to have.

My current Dura Ace hubs are my 'quietest' pitch-wise, Hunt ceramic my 'loudest' and Zipp's somewhere in-between.

Cheaper hubs are fine, just slower to engage and generally lesser quality but, yes, also quieter if well-maintained due to their fewer pawls. Commuter bikes typically have hubs with fewer pawls; less of a need for fast engagement under intense load. My 'fixie' had super-quiet hubs; rubbish though, performance-wise.

Naturally, any hub not maintained properly will make a genuinely loud noise but this is somewhat different to the noise produced by good quality hubs where it is a matter of pitch rather than grating noise.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I was going to formulate an answer then I realised this is just click-bait.

Drago

Legendary Member
Fear not! Unlcle Drago, pil,ar of wisdom, is here!

Attach an empty biscuit tin to your handlebars, and within place a sex toy from Mrs Mike's special drawer. Set it to slow so the vibration is more of a low throbbing tick, and fit the lid.

You'll be amazed how even the skinniest roadies with the noisiest Hope and DTswiss hubs give a knowing and respectful nod as you trundle past on your Raleigh Wayfarer.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Come to think of it, coming to the end of my last ride, almost silently approaching a T junction deep in the countryside, with my improper cyclist's SRAM Dual Drive ticking faintly I heard a raucous noise approaching from my right, and I wondered for a moment what it was before a sporty cyclist rasped past. I had a good look before pulling out on the basis that it's the one you don't hear that gets you, and they seldom travel alone.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
How about a lollipop stick tie wrapped to your forks or stays so that it rattles against your spokes
Make it out of "carbon" and you'll have a guaranteed best seller ;)

It surprises me that nobody has yet done any efficiency tests on overly loud hubs; the energy to create the noise in question has to come from somewhere of course.

I suspect there's a fair overlap between those prepared to spend silly money on loud hubs, and those prepared to pay silly money for *alleged* marginal gains. What happens when these things become diametrically opposed; mutually exclusive? Can the typical posh road helmet contain the result of its wearer's head exploding?

Top Bottom