Feeling down about riding my bike :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

As the title says really. After being knocked off my bike in early January (and still dealing with the physical and mental after-effects of that and legal things still ongoing) I've managed to get back out on my bike in the real world. I still can't cycle past the scene of the incident, instead opting to drive to somewhere quiet and start a ride from there. I was out yesterday and after hundreds of exemplary passes from motorists, a bloke in a blue van drove past so close I could have touched it. I now ride with a camera so have submitted this to the police, but everything I get back from Cheshire is either no further action or a warning letter. Fully expecting this one to be a warning letter if I get anything back at all. They've used the excuse in the past that 'they weren't there so it may have felt worse than it looks' and that they have to be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that an offence occurred to even send out a warning letter let alone a NIP (even gtr Manchester police these days will send out a NIP) and it just makes me wonder what was the point of the highway code update?

Anyway it ruins my day afterwards and just makes me think it's not worth it anymore and that I'm probably going to be knocked off again and maybe I won't be so fortunate to walk away next time. All because someone couldn't be bothered to wait 20 seconds for a suitable gap. Was looking at selling my bike last night and my other half told me to stop being dramatic, so I've come here for a bit of perspective I suppose.

Thanks for listening to me complain I guess.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Sorry to hear this.
As you say you are, understandably, dealing with the after effects of the collision. That will take time.

Do you have another activity to do while your mind and body recover?
When I'm not in the mood for cycling I find a bit of gardening does wonders for me.

Have you thought about short rides in quiet places, with a friend, to help rebuild your confidence?

My advice is to be gentle and allow yourself time to recover slowly.

Best wishes.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I do, but friends aren't always available. Plus I'd like to build my confidence going out alone as I always used to. It's more just drivers putting me at risk that's bothering me. 95% of drivers are good and I find it's getting better - but it's that remaining 5% that will never learn and just don't care if they kill someone with their vehicle or not.

Maybe I'll have a few weekends off and see how I feel.

AndyRM

XOXO
I was in a very similar situation to yourself the first time (of two) I got knocked off, the psychological aspect particularly: it can be harder to heal your mind than it can be your body in my experience.

My advice would be to take your time, cycle when you feel comfortable and not to fret about the legal stuff too much as that's in the hands of insurers and solicitors. It will take ages, but make sure to keep everything properly documented your end so you can be appropriately compensated.

D

Deleted member 26715

Are you able to drive somewhere to ride that won't involve riding on the road? My incident in November which in retrospect was very minor still plays on my mind, I cycle past the spot twice a day, which often triggers whatif, ifonly, I should have thoughts.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Are you able to drive somewhere to ride that won't involve riding on the road? My incident in November which in retrospect was very minor still plays on my mind, I cycle past the spot twice a day, which often triggers whatif, ifonly, I should have thoughts.

Yeah I can - but not sure my racing bike with 25mm tyres will handle much rough stuff 😉 It's mostly fine, just this incident that's cheesed me off and has made me think.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've no advice to offer, feeling completely unqualified to do so.

What you report seems quite normal, from both many people on here reporting similar feelings, and my own experience. Some people seem to carry on immediately without any real effect, some take a while to recover, and others never really seem to get their mojo back.

I'd class myself as a very confident rider, but having been knocked off, it took me quite a long time not to get the heebie geebies at times, and also I think i permanently changed some of my riding habits, particularly my behaviour around junctions.

Very best wishes however it goes for you.

13 rider

Guru
Have you considered going out on something like a British cycling "let's ride " group ride ,designed to get beginners with group leaders , Could be just the thing to get your confidence back .
25mm tyres will cope with some loose gravel if you can find some old railway trails
Good luck with everything

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yeah I can - but not sure my racing bike with 25mm tyres will handle much rough stuff 😉 It's mostly fine, just this incident that's cheesed me off and has made me think.

I mix my riding up more now. I had a very bad accident 7 years ago, stopped road riding/commuting and took up MTB. It took me about 4-5 years to get back to road riding - but I mix my rides up more now. I commute to work again but it's mostly off road tracks, and what roads there are are either quiet, or have a good cycle lane. I never choose to ride in rush hour (other than the off road commute) and ride when it's quiet. I also do more MTB or general off road - I bought a Cycle Cross bike recently and that's great for road and bridleways.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you considered going out on something like a British cycling "let's ride " group ride ,designed to get beginners with group leaders , Could be just the thing to get your confidence back .
25mm tyres will cope with some loose gravel if you can find some old railway trails
Good luck with everything

Breeze is another option for the OP :smile:
https://www.letsride.co.uk/groups/breeze-merseyside-and-cheshire
Or find a ride buddy or two on a forum or FB group like Velovixen
Could also ride with your partner?

icowden

Veteran
I think you probably need to just build back up, find some quieter routes, make sure the sun is shining, that sort of thing. A few rides with that early summer blossom in the air through some woodland and you'll remember why you love it :-)

My BiL came off on a group ride in Feb and it took him a couple of months to build his confidence back up. He is a *FAST* cyclist so his gang were doing about 25mph when one hit an oily patch and several of the group went down and were injured (minor - bruising and bumps) , and a couple of bikes required some serious repair (he took both gear shifts off his bike).

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I mix my riding up more now. I had a very bad accident 7 years ago, stopped road riding/commuting and took up MTB. It took me about 4-5 years to get back to road riding - but I mix my rides up more now. I commute to work again but it's mostly off road tracks, and what roads there are are either quiet, or have a good cycle lane. I never choose to ride in rush hour (other than the off road commute) and ride when it's quiet. I also do more MTB or general off road - I bought a Cycle Cross bike recently and that's great for road and bridleways.

Yeah I remember you saying - we were both knocked off on the same bloody road and I just can't face cycling down it now. I was actually looking at a hardtail and was gonna hire one to see if I like it. There's a place in the peaks neat Castleton that hires them out and it looks like fun! Plus it's more fun than riding the road in the winter 🤮

Don't know what it is but a nice sunny day brings all the impatient nobbers out.

davidphilips

Veteran
Have also been hit by a car and had the confidence knocked out of me,this was a few years ago but can not say that i have totally got over it, perhaps this was the reason i started cycling with a club as its a lot safer cycling with others.
Only something to consider, still cycle solo at times as there are also many advantages with solo but still when solo and far from home just one driver can ruin a great day if you let them,know the old saying , dont let the Bs get you down.
Roads are getting more traffic all the time and know a cyclist can cycle where and when they want but for me i avoid busy roads and the rush hours, cycling should be a pleasure only my view but dont force yourself and only do what you are happy to do.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Breeze is another option for the OP :smile:
https://www.letsride.co.uk/groups/breeze-merseyside-and-cheshire
Or find a ride buddy or two on a forum or FB group like Velovixen
Could also ride with your partner?
I have a pal who I ride the goyt Valley with but she's not been out much of late. I'm also gonna get back to riding with my club - they're more audax style rides and know all the best quiet roads but sometimes you just wanna go alone don't you. Im hopefully off on Friday and the snake pass is shut past the summit so there should be hardly any traffic between Glossop and the top :smile:

Top Bottom