Feeling down about riding my bike :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

A. Thanks for venting - it helps us all gain perspective.
B. Glad you're still around to vent
C. The PTSD is like you get when you're the victim of violent crime.
D. If you can afford it, get some therapy. No shame in it. Maybe this counts.
E. I've cycled over 250,000 miles and I've had plenty of accidents including waking up in an ambulance. It happens.
F. Life is risky - not just cycling. If you're gonna be hurt, might as well be doing something you love.

Went out last weekend - wonderful. This weekend - also wonderful apart from the bit where I was nearly taken out by a tit towing a caravan. Of course they had a 'grandchild on board' sticker in the back window 😤

13 rider

Guru
Went out last weekend - wonderful. This weekend - also wonderful apart from the bit where I was nearly taken out by a tit towing a caravan. Of course they had a 'grandchild on board' sticker in the back window 😤
Concentrate on the wonderful bits , it's hard to let the crap bits

ExBrit

Über Member

I've had issues with people towing stuff. They forget. When a tower passes me I slow down and look for an emergency exit in case I need it. I assume it was a Great Tit. Not the lesser kind.

Glad you're back out and enjoying yourself.

I was nearly taken out by a tit towing a caravan
If we go looking for "tits" we'll always find them - often not noticing all the other good things out there.
It may seem overkill, but if you're only getting back on the bike now and want to maintain it, I'd suggest looking for ways of reinforcing the "good" feelings. Photos are always good (and lots of photo threads here). Maybe a quick few notes and comments in a journal or an app like Strava. So that you'll have reasons to get out the next time the head is saying "no".

I've had issues with people towing stuff.
It's not a bad idea to learn from past experience and apply what we can going in to the future. It can help us feel in control and that, by itself, can reduce anxiety and tackle demotivation.

Good luck!

GuyBoden

Guru
I know exactly how you feel, I was drove into by an old woman in a car and injured my leg six months ago. It took a while for the pain to go away and then months for the leg to heal, so that I could walk properly without limping.

The compensation for bike parts are still under discussion with her insurance company, I'm not budging on the bike parts that need replacing, I'll not compromise on that issue.

I've been out on my bike since May, in the good weather, I started very hesitantly, but I'm now enjoying riding 30-40 miles twice a week, I'll be out again today too.

I'm still very wary in traffic and hesitant at junctions. Enjoying cycling again.
1.gif

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Glad you're back out and enjoying yourself.

If we go looking for "tits" we'll always find them - often not noticing all the other good things out there.
It may seem overkill, but if you're only getting back on the bike now and want to maintain it, I'd suggest looking for ways of reinforcing the "good" feelings. Photos are always good (and lots of photo threads here). Maybe a quick few notes and comments in a journal or an app like Strava. So that you'll have reasons to get out the next time the head is saying "no".

It's not a bad idea to learn from past experience and apply what we can going in to the future. It can help us feel in control and that, by itself, can reduce anxiety and tackle demotivation.

Good luck!

Re the going looking for tits whilst not noticing the good stuff - I had a bit of a wobble about it but soon enough I was off the main road and back in the lanes. Met some other cyclists and climbed with them before going out separate ways. So that was a good point! Its just that I'm relatively soft and squishy compared to a caravan and it's easy to be aware of your mortality 😉 next time though I know to stay off that road. It's well used by cyclists, but it is 50mph and slightly scary. I'll use the back lanes next time even if they're hilly!

Top Bottom