Feeling down about riding my bike :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Sorry to hear this. I haven't much to add but wanted to say well done for trying and I hope you feel better about it soon.

It's a shame Cheshire police aren't serious about cyclists' reports - but at least you can report it & something might happen... even a warning letter can result in driver improvement. I cycled for many years before cameras were even a thing & had to satisfy myself with cursing a few bad drivers or making a verbal complaint to the police on one occasion in about 1991 - the positives of riding far outweighing these moments of course.

How many years did you ride without getting hit? I hope you can find a way to enjoy the rides again.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I feel this way too; I still do a fair bit of utility cycling (3-4 times a week) but I generally dread it as I can guarantee I will get a close pass or driver pull out in front of me on pretty much every ride - even if I'm only cycling somewhere 10 minutes away.

Most of my leisure cycling is now done on the turbo.

I take my 'nice' bike out a handful of times a year and once I'm on the quieter Cheshire roads it reminds me of just how pleasurable it can be (which is why I bother maintaining my bike fitness on the turbo the rest of the year).

I'm not into the big national 'events' so I make use of national holidays and events when the roads are marginally quieter. I'd love to leave the UK and move somewhere where cyclists aren't quite so hated, but family commitments etc. mean that's just not possible at the moment...

A week in Lanzarote made me realise just how nice cycling can be 😊

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Sorry to hear this. I haven't much to add but wanted to say well done for trying and I hope you feel better about it soon.

It's a shame Cheshire police aren't serious about cyclists' reports - but at least you can report it & something might happen... even a warning letter can result in driver improvement. I cycled for many years before cameras were even a thing & had to satisfy myself with cursing a few bad drivers or making a verbal complaint to the police on one occasion in about 1991 - the positives of riding far outweighing these moments of course.

How many years did you ride without getting hit? I hope you can find a way to enjoy the rides again.

I'm recently new to cycling - started in March 2021 and was knocked off Jan 2023 and although I've had idiots pass me, no near misses to speak of really. I have a good time when I'm out in traffic free (ish) lanes, of which there are plenty - it's just annoying having to drive out somewhere to start a ride but at least it more or less guarantees a good ride.

GMP are getting better with cyclist reports and West Yorkshire are pretty good too - just such a shame that Cheshire are useless and are reluctant to send anything more than a letter.

Jameshow

Veteran
I would start by going on bike lanes and paths where your separate from traffic.

Then on roads with little traffic before attempting busy roads or rush hour traffic..

I feel for you not having had a major off, I can only imagine the fear you feel.

But counter it with the though that giving in will mean you won't ride again which is quite scary too - for me it is....

"You don't miss something untill you cannot do it!"

Sallar55

Veteran
A week in Lanzarote made me realise just how nice cycling can be 😊
Its a cultural thing, here in Spain even if the road is empty drivers indicate to pass.. And the 1•5 metre rule is observed, usually crossing the white line to pass on quite roads . The only exception is Brit motorists in hire cars, best to stay clear of the expat enclaves near the coast.

Chislenko

Veteran
I got knocked off in Cheshire about three years ago. I found the best therapy was to get back on the bike (as soon as I was able)

I do however take a detour past the roundabout where I was hit.

I hired a solicitor from The Wirral who handled everything and got me some compensation (not a life changing sum).

However one thing he said does resonate with me, "If you had been knocked off five mile down the road in North Wales the police would have got involved, Cheshire police are very inactive"

D

Deleted member 26715

Its a cultural thing, here in Spain even if the road is empty drivers indicate to pass.. And the 1•5 metre rule is observed, usually crossing the white line to pass on quite roads . The only exception is Brit motorists in hire cars, best to stay clear of the expat enclaves near the coast.

I think this is slowly occurring, I have noticed a lot more wide passes & cars staying behind cyclists for longer before overtaking, there is still the idiot element, but feel there is a subtle change going on.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

You can spot the brits a mile off 👀. I was a bit weirded out by the tiny horn toot I got on occasion, but I read that's to warn a cyclist if the road is especially quiet that someone is approaching. I can't wait to go back to cycle in Spain!

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I got knocked off in Cheshire about three years ago. I found the best therapy was to get back on the bike (as soon as I was able)

I hired a solicitor from The Wirral who handled everything and got me some compensation (not a life changing sum).

However one thing he said does resonate with me, "If you had been knocked off five mile down the road in North Wales the police would have got involved, Cheshire police are very inactive"

Honestly it's infuriating. They send this long email with all the reasons why they can't take action and I even spoke to the guy on the phone. I did say that GMP waste no time and have sent similar passes to the ticket office but all he said was he speaks to GMP to make sure they're being consistent. It feels like an exercise in keeping things easy for them to be honest. Makes me want to avoid cycling in Cheshire and just head for the hills of Yorkshire because at least they do something if you report things to them.
I am finding that attitudes seem to slowly be changing but all it takes is one whopper to ruin things.

Chislenko

Veteran
You can spot the brits a mile off 👀. I was a bit weirded out by the tiny horn toot I got on occasion, but I read that's to warn a cyclist if the road is especially quiet that someone is approaching. I can't wait to go back to cycle in Spain!

Yes, they do the same in Portugal, very reassuring as it shows they have seen you and are not distracted.

tyred

Legendary Member
I was T-boned by a driver who failed to stop at a junction in Oct 2021 and the end result was a shattered ankle which now contains a lot of metalwork and screws. I think my recovery shocked the consultants who originally told me I would be on crutches for about two years.

I definitely have struggled to get back to cycling the way I used to. Originally, when I first got told it was okay to ride I was very keen, even planning a leisurely tour in Ayrshire and Galloway where I combined Brompton with buses. But after the original novelty and sense of relief of being able to ride again wore off very quickly as I started to overthink things and constantly worry about being crashed into again and I was also a victim of a bit of a road-rage incident where three lads in a van stopped and got out to me and threatened me because apparently I held them up (possibly for about 10 seconds). It really frightened me and knocked my confidence more than the collision did. I've ridden sporadically since then, sometimes quite decent mileage (if slow), but I've been prone to finding the flimsiest of excuses to cancel or postpone a planned ride and sit an worry about what might happen.

This last month or so, my confidence has definitely improved and I have been doing 20 or 30 mile rides on a regular basis.

When the van hit me, I was riding and slightly scruffy Raleigh Pioneer I had built as a fixed wheel as I had planned on using it over the winter at the time. After the impact and being sent sliding across the road, the paintwork is all scuffed now and looks a bit of a mess. I am riding it again, after the driver who hit me left it into an LBS for repairs; they replaced the bent back wheel and broken mudguard. I have held off on painting it for now, I tell myself it can wear it's battlescars with pride! They go with the operation scars on my ankle.

ExBrit

Über Member
As the title says really. After being knocked off my bike in early January (and still dealing with the physical and mental after-effects of that and legal things still ongoing) I've managed to get back out on my bike in the real world. I still can't cycle past the scene of the incident, instead opting to drive to somewhere quiet and start a ride from there. I was out yesterday and after hundreds of exemplary passes from motorists, a bloke in a blue van drove past so close I could have touched it. I now ride with a camera so have submitted this to the police, but everything I get back from Cheshire is either no further action or a warning letter. Fully expecting this one to be a warning letter if I get anything back at all. They've used the excuse in the past that 'they weren't there so it may have felt worse than it looks' and that they have to be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that an offence occurred to even send out a warning letter let alone a NIP (even gtr Manchester police these days will send out a NIP) and it just makes me wonder what was the point of the highway code update?

Anyway it ruins my day afterwards and just makes me think it's not worth it anymore and that I'm probably going to be knocked off again and maybe I won't be so fortunate to walk away next time. All because someone couldn't be bothered to wait 20 seconds for a suitable gap. Was looking at selling my bike last night and my other half told me to stop being dramatic, so I've come here for a bit of perspective I suppose.

Thanks for listening to me complain I guess.

A. Thanks for venting - it helps us all gain perspective.
B. Glad you're still around to vent
C. The PTSD is like you get when you're the victim of violent crime.
D. If you can afford it, get some therapy. No shame in it. Maybe this counts.
E. I've cycled over 250,000 miles and I've had plenty of accidents including waking up in an ambulance. It happens.
F. Life is risky - not just cycling. If you're gonna be hurt, might as well be doing something you love.

Jameshow

Veteran

Too busy getting on the telly!
Ones a spit of Chris Boardman!

Top Bottom