feeling tired and drained...how long will it last?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i've been commuting a reasonably long commute, 41 miles round trip + 600m climbing, since march. the last 4 weeks have been only 22 miles round trip as my placement is nearer than uni. i thought, great, time for some recovering. the thing is though, i'm more tired than when on the longer commute.

anyone else suffer from this? if so how long till i pull thru? a long time or short time?

short term i hope as i'm back on the long one in a week and a half.

cheers
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
Just ease up a little and have the odd "rest" (easy) day once a week or more for the 40 miles. Your body has probably gone into shock with the shorter commute. :tongue:;)
 

ColinJ

Puzzle game developer
Perhaps you've just about hit your limits and need a good rest?

When a mate was overtrained it took him months to recover. His commute was Hebden Bridge to Padiham but that summer he started extending his evening rides. He ran out of steam in August and was grovelling by September.
 
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
hi colin,
will reply to your pm when my diary becomes clearer, should know more about dates in a few days....wasn't being ignorant honest.
 

Ashaman42

Über Member
And I don't know if you do this but try not to treat every commute like a time trial, I find I cope better when every other day is pootled rather than pushed.

Easier said then done though sometimes.
 
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ashaman42 said:
And I don't know if you do this but try not to treat every commute like a time trial, I find I cope better when every other day is pootled rather than pushed.

Easier said then done though sometimes.
i did stop doing that last week. it's easy to get caught up in the average mph thing. got up to 16 mph (not too shabby for a fat bloke on a folder)then removed the bloody clock. i am my worst enemy sometimes. this time the clock won't be going back on.
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Interesting - for two weeks I was riding 50 miles a day on tour, and feeling good. Since I've been back, and doing about 6 miles a day commuting (plus a physical job), I've felt shattered. I put some of it down to the heat and working outdoors in the sun, but it did seem odd to be tired once I'd stopped the regularly high mileage.

I wonder if the body gets used to producing a lot of something or other (not adrenalin maybe, but some hormone maybe), and when it's not all used, it causes tiredness as a side effect...
 

blockend

New Member
In the past I've pushed it after an illness and regretted it. Right now I have a slight chest infection, something I'm prone to after bad colds (also asthmatic + chronic sinus problems) and I'm dying to get out, especially as I have a new bike to play with.

Anything more than a pootle is beyond me, so the hard stuff can wait a week or two.
 

Armegatron

Active Member
blockend said:
In the past I've pushed it after an illness and regretted it. Right now I have a slight chest infection, something I'm prone to after bad colds (also asthmatic + chronic sinus problems) and I'm dying to get out, especially as I have a new bike to play with.

Anything more than a pootle is beyond me, so the hard stuff can wait a week or two.
Someone else too! :smile: I know how you feel man, hope you get well soon.
 

martynjc1977

Veteran
It might be worth you speaking to a nutrition expert, and a qualified coach, who can give you informed advice to help you sustain your current/ previous activity level.
 
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
could be what is up with me. i've just come down with a cold, could have been lurking for a few weeks. whilst i'm not happy about the cold, i'm happy now i know what was causing the tiredness (i hope).
 

blockend

New Member
bromptonfb said:
could be what is up with me.
Could be. I generally feel awful two or three days before a bug, lethargic, cheesed off but no real symptoms. Then one morning I wake up streaming with cold, coughing and wheezing.
Almost a relief that I'm not going nuts.
 

- Baz -

Active Member
Location
Manchester
bromptonfb said:
i did stop doing that last week. it's easy to get caught up in the average mph thing. got up to 16 mph (not too shabby for a fat bloke on a folder)then removed the bloody clock. i am my worst enemy sometimes. this time the clock won't be going back on.
FWIW, just done my first week commuting. 14 miles round trip. I decided on day two, after getting to work AND getting home like a greasy blob on the first day that spinning the pedals as much as possible is a better idea... :biggrin: Having done this (more or less) for the past three days I'm enjoying the ride more. 'What's the big hurry?' I keep telling myself...

BTW, 16mph average is certainly impressive!
 
Top Bottom