Feeling Unwell Afterwards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

Has anyone ever experienced feelings of general unwell after cycling? Sometimes, after cycling for a few hours I feel quite unwell almost like cold/flu symptoms and feeling really washed out and tired for a few days. I would consider myself reasonably fit and can cycle without being out of breath, etc.

D

Deleted member 26715

You need to look at your fluid & food intake, people far knowledgeable will be along shortly but the sounds like your body having issues & having to draw from itself to aid the repair.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Or that other virus...........
True!

I felt weak/rough for weeks back in April. It wasn't something as bad as flu, and it didn't feel like a cold because I never got the typical runny nose or congested chest. I have no idea what it was but hoped at the time that it was Covid-19, because if it was then I was clearly one of the lucky ones who did not get really ill.

Big John

Guru
Hi there

Has anyone ever experienced feelings of general unwell after cycling? Sometimes, after cycling for a few hours I feel quite unwell almost like cold/flu symptoms and feeling really washed out and tired for a few days. I would consider myself reasonably fit and can cycle without being out of breath, etc.
No. I feel fine even after a Sunday morning 4 hour bike ride. I just feel tired but not ill. May be worth a visit to the doc just to give you peace of mind, if you can get an appointment during the covid crisis.
P.s. I'm 64 so no spring chicken but still feel fine after a ride.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Go and see your doctor, there may be an underlying issue. Play safe.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Are you new to cycling distances?

What you describe sounds familiar - a couple of years ago it took me 2 days to recover from a 30 mile ride. Then I worked on getting my fluid and food intake right, and then built my cycling fitness.

If you are concerned better to have a conversation with your doctor.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi there

Unwell? Never. Nackered? Yes but I'll be fine the next day. I agree entirely with those who say nutrition and hydration are very important but I don't think this accounts for the symptoms you describe.

The time and distance you ride is largely irrelevant to your question as is the need for the body to repair itself unless you are riding way beyond what your fitness levels allow. Cycling should not leave you feeling like this. Tired is fine but that's all.

I would speak to a GP if I experienced these symptoms.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Unwell? Never. Nackered? Yes but I'll be fine the next day. I agree entirely with those who say nutrition and hydration are very important but I don't think this accounts for the symptoms you describe.

The time and distance you ride is largely irrelevant to your question as is the need for the body to repair itself unless you are riding way beyond what your fitness levels allow. Cycling should not leave you feeling like this. Tired is fine but that's all.

I would speak to a GP if I experienced these symptoms.

Thanks. I'm going to speak to my GP

Top Bottom