Fell off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's an old saying, cornering confidence increases steadily until it drops sharply. Hopefully yours comes back quickly!

While it's likely just a greasy road surface, (as based on the fact that someone else came off there) check your hub for movement and try loosening and re-tightening your quick release, any play will translate into a loss of cornering stability.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Road surface issues, and your tyres aren't very grippy - cheap rubber I'm afraid. If new, as well, many manufacturers have mold release agents in the tyres - Michelin certainly did.. so you take it easy at first.

I suspect there was diesel on the road.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Its probably a little bit of poor road surface, poor riding ability but also compering these tyres to my durano tyres the durano feel more grippy even though they are smoother

Yes i did suspect they were cheap, been out on worse conditions and never felt like i was riding on ice like today

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Ok so im going to get some new tyres for this bike, any recommendation?

I have the durano on my hybrid in 32c

Same tyres in 25c?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Durano Plus Performance are tough. Had 23c on my commuter.

I'd also say Michelin Pro, or Conti 4 Season, but they are big money. PS less 'tread' is more on a road bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:
Front wheel slippage, though can be lethal especially when combined with black ice.

I can attest to that. Put a big hole in the knee of my bib tights when I went right and the bike went left about 20 metres apart. Apart from some bruising I was ok as I slid on the ice instead of getting road rash.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Its just a thought but the tyres are installed with the tred running the right way arnt they?
View attachment 454125

Yes and it should be the opposite way on the rear.

Touring tyres tend to be hard wearing and so use hard rubbers in the centre and a stiffer carcass. A consequence is that the tyres do not grip the road quite so well. Soft rubbers and more flexible carcass tyres have better friction but wear much quicker.

You are a similar weight to me and I used to run 28mm. Try 65 psi front and 75 psi rear. If that feels a little squidgy then add another 5psi and see how that goes. Track pump gauges can vary so your 65 psi may be the equivalent of 60 psi on mine.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Thanks for that.
This is the rear tyre though!

On the rear the narrow point if the slit should face forward , and on front face backward. So still correct.

Tread on bikes helps with gravelly surfaces. On a road no tread designs have more rubber in contact with the road.

The duranos have better grip than those and should be a little quicker.

Top Bottom