Fell off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah im just being lazy and cant be bothered to take off the hybrid and put on the road bike haha

Was a nice smooth ride with the 32s

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Well, them tyres are going in the bin.

Utter sh1te.
Set psi to 70 and still feel like the back wheel is all over the place slipping and sliding.
Cornering was scarey.
Even on a straight, small bumps in the road and it felt like the rear wheel was skipping sideways
Bin bound!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cornering is one thing, but if you are even having problems on small bumps on straight roads then I think you need to stop and think about what is really going on.

I have ridden tens of thousands of miles on numerous different road bikes with probably 10+ different types of tyre, with sizes from 23 to 35, PSI from 50 -110, tread/no tread, road surface from perfect to gravel-covered/potholed/bumpy nightmare, gradients to +/- 25%, speeds up to 55 mph, dry/dusty/leaf-covered/wet and ...

... I have never had as many problems as you are having. I wouldn't blame the tyres!

ColinJ

Just so you know I am not picking on you ... I cycled round some bends on local descents recently at 30+ mph and felt perfectly safe. I remember almost crashing at 20 mph on those bends when I first rode them 30 years ago! It was just the way I was handling the bike then before I learned how to do it properly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Some of the roads are terrible round here.

I cant see what else i can do?
I pedal, they feel like they slip.
It was slightly wet today but i donno, just feels like they really are bad.

I mean, obviously im new to it and am a little twitchy changing grip etc, lost confidence from coming off last week.

But at speed say 20mph they just feel like they are gonna go on me, probably is partly me being new and unsteady.

Well they are going either way, gonna put the 32s on, as i had no problems with them.
Atleast untill i gain experience and get confident again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Thing is though, i had a road bike a couple yrs ago and used to go out at silly oclock like 6/630 am, i remember it being frosty and never once felt like i do on this bike.
Granted i only done about 2 or 3 20mile rides and packed it in

ColinJ

The one time I had problems on a straight road was in Spain. Our ride leader warned us that roads in Spain can get incredibly slippery in light rain because there isn't usually enough to wash away the oily residue which gets on the roads over time. When rain finally falls, the slippery stuff floats to the surface. We got some very light drizzle and he immediately led us to a cafe where we stayed for an hour until the drizzle stopped. I thought the whole thing was laughable and that he was being ridiculously overcautious. When we set off again I was a bit slow getting back on my bike and the others got a gap on me. I stood up to sprint after them on suffered a massive rear wheel slide which almost threw me off the bike. Lesson learned!

And manhole covers! Christ they are deadly!
Any wet metal - yes! Tramlines and railway lines can be lethal. Also painted lines on roads when wet.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah,what you describe there, the dt3anding rear wheel slipping happens to me quite a lot.
There is alot of muck and hourse poo etc in the roads round here, all country lanes.
I think you are right though, probably me and lack of experience mixed with crappy roads.
Im just gonna take it slow for now

ColinJ

Yeah,what you describe there, the dt3anding rear wheel slipping happens to me quite a lot.
There is alot of muck and hourse poo etc in the roads round here, all country lanes.
I think you are right though, probably me and lack of experience mixed with crappy roads.
Im just gonna take it slow for now
I used to do the 'Manchester 100' every year out into the lanes of Cheshire. One part of the route involved a RH bend just before a farm. I went round that bend once and found the road covered in slurry, which had brought down several of the riders ahead of me.

ColinJ

And as for the time that I (*** accidentally! :laugh:) tried to insert my head up the rectum of a large horse ... :eek:

*** I went into a blind bend too fast and encountered a couple of horses being ridden down the lane directly in front of me.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've got a right motley collection of tyres on a motley collection of bikes. I run quality Schwalbes on the bikes I ride further on for puncture reasons, but all the ratty old tyres that came with secondhand bikes I've bought get kept and used for local rides on hack bikes, so long as they will hold air and don't look like are about to explode. I don't care how old they are or how shabby they look, they will still get ridden until they wear out. AFAIK, my oldest ones are a pair of Semperit 26" x 1 3/8" supplied with a Puch roadster that was new in 1974, so 45 years old! Despite my variable and mediocre rubber, I don't experience any alarming handling incidents, but I am very wary of slippery surfaces like manhole covers and road marking paint. I always try to avoid hard cornering, acceleration, or braking when either wheel is in contact with any of these things. I never accelerate standing out of the saddle either, because I reckon having the bike moving from side to side as you apply a lot of force is the best way to provoke an "off" if the surface underneath you is slippery or covered with loose chippings etc.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Well, 32s dont fit! The website is lying! The lip of the tyre wont fit passed either side of the valve!

Edit, ive just squeezed it on, just silipped past it. Looks ok

Last edited:
Top Bottom