1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female TdF

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Keith Oates, 19 Jun 2008.

1. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

I see that Nicole Cooke is riding this one again, let's hope she can get a win as she needs a boost before the Olympics get going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Maybe. It's hers to lose.

3. OP
    OP
    Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Doesn't look as if she's going to get the win this year, so far her year hasn't been very good by her standards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. OP
    OP
    Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

3rd in the final GC, I was hoping for better but let's hope her Olympic preparation is going the way she wants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

You're right, dissappointing. She has been so exceptional though, I'll alolw her a dip in form particularly in a year with such different goals.

6. Skip Madness

Skip Madness New Member

I have been following this race as closely as possible, but obviously it (and women's cycling generally) doesn't get anything like the coverage some of us would hope. Anyway, I was checking the official website at velo-feminin.com and there's a very interesting interview here with the Grande Boucle's race director, Pierre Boué:

How cool does that sound? This is the first year I've really started following women's cycling, and this has sprung up. I really hope it comes to fruition.

On the race itself, Thürig's time-trial sounds incredible so I wouldn't be too down on Nicole Cooke about it, although I had high hopes for that final stage for her. What I find interesting is that Soeder went for it when Thürig was hardly likely to be caught by anyone else. Don't get me wrong, if Soeder was the strongest then she has every right to demonstrate that, but given that in that interview I linked to above Boué suggested it might have been Thürig's last Boucle, you'd think her own team-mate might have just eased off.

7. OP
    OP
    Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Interesting comments, Skip Madness, and a London depart next year should hopefully create some more interest in the UK at least. As for Nicole I don't think any of us have a down on her, in fact to the contrary, we are all hoping that she will continue to do well in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!