Fence posts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Shows how good council services are - any self respecting tree surgeon could remove that stump!!

Council couldn't be bothered to remove it. Anybody can do that. I would have cut it flush with the ground, drilled several deep holes in the remaining stump and applied a tiny amount of diesel into the holes, this will kill the remaining stump.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My ex used to work for BT - one of the engineers told her that the telegraph poles were soaked on creosote - literally submerged in big tank - for about 1- years before being used
Which would explain why they don't rot very quickly

For the same reason you are not advised to burn them either. Creosote is different nowadays anyway as it was regarded as being just too poisonous for general public use.

Gillstay

Über Member
Council couldn't be bothered to remove it. Anybody can do that. I would have cut it flush with the ground, drilled several deep holes in the remaining stump and applied a tiny amount of diesel into the holes, this will kill the remaining stump.

No, the council don't go around pouring poisons in to the urban environment for no obvious reason. It's not a case of not bothering.

To avoid putting poisins into the environment even just drilling the holes will help it rot quicker

Make the holes as vertical as possible and as deep as possible and the water pooled inside will make it rot faster

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Another way to kill the tree stump would be either some copper nails or the cheap way just drill a few deep 15 mm holes and push in some old bits of copper pipe bit of soil over them job done.

Top Bottom