Ferry - Harwich to Hoek van Holland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like the load "breakfast call" - Im a bit deaf so it gives me time to go out on deck and decide if I need longs to start off with and pick up a cup of coffee, get showered and ready for the off - Harwich I always try to be last bicycle so mine is most accessible - I always take the train from Liverpool Street - I have never managed to find a second lift (the obvious one only seems to work half the time) down to the platform - taking a fully loaded bike down the escalator is "interesting" ^_^

andym

Über Member
I I always take the train from Liverpool Street - I have never managed to find a second lift (the obvious one only seems to work half the time) down to the platform - taking a fully loaded bike down the escalator is "interesting" ^_^

The station plan shows a 'sloping footpath' on the Broadgate side of the station which presumably goes to street level. Looking at Google Maps I'm guessing that it comes out on Pindar Street. Never used it, but might be worth checking out.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_LST/plan.html?rtnloc=LST

Last edited:
Ive only ever taken recourse to the escalator the once - was a bit short of time for exploring - subsequently checked that map to see if there is a second lift and seen that "sloped footpath" but haven't been back to check it out"

As an aside the Colchester to Harwich line is a bit susceptible to line closures at weekends with bus replacements

andym

Über Member
The broadgate street entrance is at platform level

Yes I remember now, and there's a slope down to it past a sculpture (a bull? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?).

Anyway here's the map.There's an entrance onto Broadgate and then the Broadgate Link which leads to the 'sloping footpath'. The Broadgate entrance is probably the easiest.

2421-0000007.jpg

andym

Über Member
Has anyone used this to try to book a single journey back from the Netherlands?

According to the FAQ on the Stena Line site:

Q: How do I book the Dutchflyer starting in the Netherlands?

A: Simply visit our Dutch site at www.stenaline.nl/ferry/londen/ and go through the booking process. Unfortunately if you switch the site to ‘English’ you will only be able to book the Dutchflyer from the Hook of Holland (we’re working on this!) so please leave it in Dutch.

Which is all very well, but if you go to the Dutch site there doesn't seem to be any way to book a bike ticket - the system says that the tickets can only be sold to foot passengers, while the UK version lets you book a person and a bike. I'm assuming that it's not a problem buying a bike ticket at Hoek van Holland but in the end I decided I'd just buy a ticket for the ferry crossing as this seems the most straightforward option.

Thanks.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The vegetarian buffet for supper on the ferry is really quite a good deal........and I would normally shudder in horror at the prospect of a meal described thus.

I'm off on this in 3 weeks time, for my 5th year running. I just love it, and like it's been said above, it's all an adventure. For me, the glorious tones of Bobby mcferrin mean that in a couple of hours I'll be heading north on the deity of your choice's own cycle path, the LF1. If you can ride an hour or so without breakfast there's a good bakery at the far end of Scheveningen (left side of main drag, just before you turn right down to where you go back into the dunes). I usually stock up there with krentenbollen and kaasbroodjes.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Dutch site there doesn't seem to be any way to book a bike ticket - the system says that the tickets can only be sold to foot passengers.
you buy the Rail/Sail ticket for a foot passenger (this means your train journey to L'poo St is much cheaper) then email or phone the nice Dutch people and arrange to arrive at the Hoek terminal and pay a few euros extra to take the bike on the boat. Thus you get the ferry journey and cabin plus train fare.
And at L'poo St bikes can be wheeled through the western entrance without using lift or stairs.
Finally, I have found the food on the ferry to be very good, and a reasonable price. Certainly enough for a morning's cycling to a shop.
Netherlands is cycling heaven.

andym

Über Member
Heads up for anyone looking to travel this weekend it looks like there's a bus replacement service over the Easter break.

you buy the Rail/Sail ticket for a foot passenger (this means your train journey to L'poo St is much cheaper) then email or phone the nice Dutch people and arrange to arrive at the Hoek terminal and pay a few euros extra to take the bike on the boat. Thus you get the ferry journey and cabin plus train fare.

Thanks for that, surprisingly it didn't look like there was much of a saving: the fare I was being quoted was (IIRC) 67€ (plus I would have had to buy a bike ticket for the Dutch bit), compared with £43 for the ferry-only deck-passenger ticket. Advance tickets for Harwich to Liverpool Street are £10.80 and Amsterdam - Hoek van Holland was (again, IIRC) 17€. I guess compared with the full walk-up fares there may be some saving —or is there something I've misunderstood?

The Dutch version of the website didn't seem to offer the flexible ticket, so, all things considered, I decided I might just as well buy the flexible ferry-only ticket from the UK site and buy the other tickets when I have definite dates.

Top Bottom