Ferry mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
It would be interesting to learn the equivalent fuel consumption of the channel tunnel trains. I would expect the train to be more fuel efficient.

There is too much friction in water to make ships efficient users of fuel.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
With 170 cars and maybe 500 people perhaps they could row some of the way to save fuel. They might have to change their cororate name though to something like 'Quiteslowferries'.

Melvil

gavintc said:
It would be interesting to learn the equivalent fuel consumption of the channel tunnel trains. I would expect the train to be more fuel efficient.

There is too much friction in water to make ships efficient users of fuel.

In that case, why not more hydrofoil ferries?

There's just been a report on the BBC about ferry companies increasing their charges because of fuel costs.

Apparently Speedferries carry 170 cars per trip, and use 4000 litres per trip.

That's 5.3 gallons per car per trip. That's a lot isn't it? How far is Dover to Boulogne?

About 25 miles. 5 mpg. You'd do better giving it the gun in a 4x4.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Melvil said:
Or just leave the cars off, then they'd use less petrol! :biggrin::tongue:

Graham O

Melvil said:

We may have the wrong sort of waves! That may sound stupid, but the waves in the Eastern Atlantic and off the UK generally have short periods and displacement hulls are better under typical conditions. As the wave period extends, such as found off the US coast and in the Pacific, hydrofoils and hovercraft are ideal. The hovercraft is often cited as being a British invention exploited by others, but as the size increases, you need longer waves, hence the US Marines were able to build very large hovercraft when we couldn't.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Melvil

Graham O said:
We may have the wrong sort of waves! That may sound stupid, but the waves in the Eastern Atlantic and off the UK generally have short periods and displacement hulls are better under typical conditions. As the wave period extends, such as found off the US coast and in the Pacific, hydrofoils and hovercraft are ideal. The hovercraft is often cited as being a British invention exploited by others, but as the size increases, you need longer waves, hence the US Marines were able to build very large hovercraft when we couldn't.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Maybe, but you sound infinitely better briefed than me!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
There's just been a report on the BBC about ferry companies increasing their charges because of fuel costs.

Apparently Speedferries carry 170 cars per trip, and use 4000 litres per trip.

That's 5.3 gallons per car per trip. That's a lot isn't it? How far is Dover to Boulogne?

Nice ferries though and Boulogne is so much easier to get in and out of than Calais :thumbsup: About 50 min crossing time.

LLB

Ah yes, but the noise.......

the whistle of those two huge engines.
..........sucking fuel through at an astronomical rate.

Do you feel the same way about the space shuttle lifting off ?

Top Bottom