Ferry re-opening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Clearly my succces in getting permission for cycle stands has gone to my head. I've now moved on to ferries...

Text copied from my Facebook post:

"As a Blyth resident I've had a letter from British Volt about their planned battery factory at Cambois and inviting responses about their plans. I have suggested that, if they want to do something for the local community, they could fund the reopening of the ferry from Blyth to North Blyth.
A few years ago there were plans to reopen the ferry as part of the rerouting of the NCN 1 cycle route but the project turned out to be too expensive.
British Volt are planning 3000 new jobs for local people. Imagine if those local workers from Blyth could simply get the ferry across the river instead of clogging up the Spine Road travelling to work. And easy access to Blyth town centre for people in Cambois & North Blyth.
If anyone agrees with me they could e-mail British Volt too on planningapplication@britishvolt.com"

For those who don't know the reopening of the Blyth-North Blyth passenger/cycle ferry would cut a big chunk off the NCN1 route. And provide a sustainable travel route between two places currently only really accessible by car (there's a limited bus service).

If any locals (@Archie_tect ?) would like to support my idea the e-mail address is above. Probably a waste of time, but it's not even going to cost you the price of a stamp...

IaninSheffield

Veteran
And what an advert for their technology if that ferry was battery powered?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
You are on a roll! I strongly believe that if collections of like minded individuals do things like you are doing cohesively without jumping up and down or screaming in people's faces gets much better results in the long term.

And what an advert for their technology if that ferry was battery powered?
We have a solar powered boat Ra cruising the local broad.

This is a bigger more practical version in ferry use.
https://plugboats.com/solar-electric-river-shuttle-has-9-hours-autonomy/amp/

The last plan for a reolacement ferry in 2009 was abandoned because of running costs, presumably they needed to employ drivers and suchlike. In Norway they have a driverless electric ferry thst can be summoned on demand. Car AI can probably work more effectively in a highly restricted environment on a ferry crossing.

https://zeabuz.com/

Last edited:
Interesting, ground roots up requests for improving the local area should be applauded and yes, with an e-ferry, what a great advert for adding in the environmental benefits too.
I hope you get a ‘positive’ outcome... if I thought my comments from the south coast would in any way make a difference, I’d be happy to contact them.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Clearly my succces in getting permission for cycle stands has gone to my head. I've now moved on to ferries...

Text copied from my Facebook post:

"As a Blyth resident I've had a letter from British Volt about their planned battery factory at Cambois and inviting responses about their plans. I have suggested that, if they want to do something for the local community, they could fund the reopening of the ferry from Blyth to North Blyth.
A few years ago there were plans to reopen the ferry as part of the rerouting of the NCN 1 cycle route but the project turned out to be too expensive.
British Volt are planning 3000 new jobs for local people. Imagine if those local workers from Blyth could simply get the ferry across the river instead of clogging up the Spine Road travelling to work. And easy access to Blyth town centre for people in Cambois & North Blyth.
If anyone agrees with me they could e-mail British Volt too on planningapplication@britishvolt.com"

For those who don't know the reopening of the Blyth-North Blyth passenger/cycle ferry would cut a big chunk off the NCN1 route. And provide a sustainable travel route between two places currently only really accessible by car (there's a limited bus service).

If any locals (@Archie_tect ?) would like to support my idea the e-mail address is above. Probably a waste of time, but it's not even going to cost you the price of a stamp...
Blythe Spirit!

Well, I looked at British Volt, and applaud their stated desire to be environmentally involved in the local community, so emailed them my thoughts about your thoughts, so if you hear anything about your contact, I’d be interested to know.
It certainly looks like a decent possibility, across the river Blyth, and would encourage me if I were local to use this rather than public transport or drive there.
Well done for sharing this, and good luck!

Ajax Bay

Guru
planned battery factory at Cambois
fund the reopening of the ferry from Blyth to North Blyth.
Imagine if those local workers from Blyth could simply get the ferry across the river instead of clogging up the Spine Road travelling to work. And easy access to Blyth town centre for people in Cambois & North Blyth.
the reopening of the Blyth-North Blyth passenger/cycle ferry would cut a big chunk off the NCN1 route.

For those (like me) not versed in Blyth's river mouth and geography:
1612699669714.png

Cambois is immediately north, off the map.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

On @Ajax Bay's map you can see the route of the old ferry - the dashed line north of the solid green dot. I have a feeling that the access there is no longer feasible, but the NCN 1 is routed along the harbour (south of this map) and surely that's the sort of place a ferry landing could be sited.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Has the foot jetty at the end of Ann's Row been removed, then? Or is it the North Blyth side where pedestrians or cyclists could not gain access to/from the roundabout?

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Has the foot jetty at the end of Ann's Row been removed, then? Or is it the North Blyth side where pedestrians or cyclists could not gain access to/from the roundabout?
The south side - didn't know that was called Ann's Row mind. The access along Crawford street has been incorporated into the port land. There's just a fence all along that side now.

To be honest access from the harbour would be nearer the town centre & bus station, though obviously the ferry journey would be longer.

Top Bottom