FerryBridge Power Station

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The (initially 'hush-hush') news is that the Cooling Towers are to be demolished this coming Sunday, with all remaining 6 being 'dropped'

Expect traffic on the surrounding roads to be halted
Stranglands Lane (Castleford/Glasshoughton - Ferrybridge) - which may affect anyone riding towards Birkin Café?
M62 (probably, for the 'distraction' factor)
'New' A1
'Old' A1 (now A162)

The time, last time, I saw anything was scheduled for 09:00

End of an era, & a local landmark gone, as happened with the cooling towers, at Tinsley (M1, near the Planet X store)

Venod

Eh up
I thought they were leaving three to use for a new gas station, there are 7 standing, four are due for demolition Sunday, it will change the view from our back garden.

https://sse.com/whatwedo/ourprojectsandassets/thermal/ferrybridge-d-ccgt/

Slioch

Guru
It's certainly a local landmark that will be missed. Whenever I'm riding in the Howardian Hills to the north of York on a clear day I'll always stop to scan the horizon, reading from west to east you can see the cooling towers of Ferrybridge, Eggborough, and Drax. I'll miss them. Approx' 28 miles as the crow flies.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It's certainly a local landmark that will be missed. Whenever I'm riding in the Howardian Hills to the north of York on a clear day I'll always stop to scan the horizon, reading from west to east you can see the cooling towers of Ferrybridge, Eggborough, and Drax. I'll miss them. Approx' 28 miles as the crow flies.

Yes, they've been a fixture on the skyline from all over Yorkshire from places you might not have expected for a long time.

They can be seen from parts of Calderdale, as well as Asquith Moor above the Washburn Valley beyond Otley.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
I can remember Ferrybridge, Eggborough and Drax being built. My step Dad worked on all three, my brother on Eggborough and Drax and me on Drax. Don't think any of us thought they would be demolished in our life times.

Venod

Eh up
I can remember Ferrybridge, Eggborough and Drax being built. My step Dad worked on all three, my brother on Eggborough and Drax and me on Drax. Don't think any of us thought they would be demolished in our life times.

I too can remember all three being built, I didn't work on the building of them but spent a great deal of my working life at all three sites, a lot of people say its sad to see them demolished, I am not, I always thought they were a blot on the landscape.

pawl

Legendary Member
We have just driven past Ferrybridge power station this afternoon on my way to York.Seeing the powerstation I know I’m on God’s own country

jongooligan

Legendary Member
I too can remember all three being built, I didn't work on the building of them but spent a great deal of my working life at all three sites, a lot of people say its sad to see them demolished, I am not, I always thought they were a blot on the landscape.

Yep, they are brutal monstrosities. Won't be sorry to see them go but didn't expect it to be so soon. Makes sense though now that the surrounding coalfields have gone.

Nonethewiser

Ferrybridge power was always the landmark that told me I was nearly home and have been there as long as I can remember but, like the colliery winding towers that were also a common sight in the local landscape, they are now set to be a thing of the past and in a nostalgic way I will be sad to see them go. We've got to move on though and bring on cleaner ways of generating energy and I'm all for that.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Didcot lost its final towers this year, too.

Given that the UK is still sitting on 250 years' worth of coal and our barking government is almost Trumpian in nature, I wouldn't be surprised if they start building new ones soon.

Top Bottom