Fetching a bike by car..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
As a plan B I might have to come to the UK to buy a bike, I know you can buy bike racks, but if I took the front wheel out of the bike and I dropped the back seats of my car would the bike fit in.. I have an Astra hatch 4 door.. or is that pushing it a bit..

Cheers

PK99

Legendary Member
As a plan B I might have to come to the UK to buy a bike, I know you can buy bike racks, but if I took the front wheel out of the bike and I dropped the back seats of my car would the bike fit in.. I have an Astra hatch 4 door.. or is that pushing it a bit..

Cheers
should be fine - but you can take both wheels off!

gavintc

Guru
We rented a Ford Ka when on holiday in Majorca. We got both our road bikes in the back - had to take all the wheels off obviously, but there was ample room.

vickster

Legendary Member
My bikes have all fitted comfortably in my Golf hatch with the front wheel off - might be easier without the rear wheel, but the chain scares me!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
My bikes have all fitted comfortably in my Golf hatch with the front wheel off - might be easier without the rear wheel, but the chain scares me!
Shouldn't think my Astra is alot different in the back..
Cheers.

Mo1959

Legendary Member

Cheers

Just have a Peugeot 207 hatch myself and have had a Dawes Discovery hybrid in the back with front wheel removed and a Specialized Ruby road bike (bit smaller) without removing the wheel. Would imagine your Astra would be at least the same size if not slightly bigger.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Astra? Golf?Taking both wheels off ?
Youse lot are lightweights.
I can get my 60cm frame size bike (with just the front wheel off) into a Citroen C1 !

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I keep a groundsheet/tarpaulin in the boot of the car. Cover the rear bumper before putting the bike in as chainrings will seriously damage the paintwork

Top Bottom