Figuring out groupsets on whole bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Just narrowing down my search and wanted to understand the specs of the machines I was looking at - and found a great article from Bike radar which gave the hierachy of the Shimano/Sram groupsets. When I try to then apply that to comparing the bikes I have shortlisted, it seems that some shops are mixing the groupsets up (i.e. a Tourney front derailuer, but a Altus rear). Is that usual, or am I misunderstanding this?

If it is normal practice, what would be the preference on the higher end component? (i.e. is a front derailleur higher in spec, prefered to the rear etc.).

TIA

Drago

Legendary Member
Virtually no bike has an entire nut and bolt groupset. At best you'll typically get mechs & shifters, maybe cassette,, but mixing and matching is common.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Its normally a mishmash of components between the £500-1500 mark (Normally...) I paid £1500 for my Cube but it didnt come with Ultegra brake calipers but everything on it was Ultegra.

My Triban on the other hand seemed to be a more of a 'frankenstein' of parts that were thrown on. Shifters, rear & front derailleur were 105 but cassette was Tiagra and the cranks were a Prowheel Ounce 721, Brakes were some Tektro rubbish.

you will find some brands that offer lesser components on a more expensive bike. Ive seen Tiagra groupsets on bikes that cost upto £1500 while another brand will offer at least a full 105 or part ultegra setup

Drago

Legendary Member
Freewheel, hubs, cassette, seat post, cables, QR skewers, even chains on the higher sets... Full Shimano gruppos have all this tinsel, but i don't think I've yet seen an off the shelf bike that had every last tiny item.

In that sense Ribble don't use entire group sets, but do seem to use more complete groups of gear than most other manufacturers offer.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
A front mech is the easiest, cheapest and most pointless way to up the spec on a bike, which is why a lot of brands do it.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Virtually no bike has an entire nut and bolt groupset. At best you'll typically get mechs & shifters, maybe cassette,, but mixing and matching is common.
Both my Focus and my wife's Ridley have full groupsets.
Ultegra Di2 on the Focus and 105 on the Ridley.
The Focus has Ultegra pedals and wheels (RS81) as well. ;)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
My Rose has a complete Ultegra groupset, including chain and cables.
(edit - ^ not wheels however, as they are Mavic)

Drago

Legendary Member
QRs and seat post? I keep banging on about them because I never knew they existed until I recently acquired a 105 seat post and Ultegra skewers. I've since seen the skewers here and there but yet to see a group set seat post on a bike.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
QRs and seat post? I keep banging on about them because I never knew they existed until I recently acquired a 105 seat post and Ultegra skewers. I've since seen the skewers here and there but yet to see a group set seatpost on a bike.
Bugger! You got me on the actual seat post, but I've got the Ultegra seatpost battery - does that count?
I've got the skewers though.:okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
I was gobsmacked, all these years and never knew they existed. Not badly priced either compared to good quality posts from the usual suspects.

In the old days of quill they also did group set handlebar stems, but I don't think they do for Aheadset (cue someone posting a picture of their Aheadset stem!)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Are wheels, skewers, seatpost, stem, bars considered part of the groupset? It's more usual for the 'finishing kit' to be another brand isn't it - not necessarily less expensive - on the Rose it's Ritchey - and the seatpost alone would be a huge amount of money if bought separately. Likewise the wheels can often be another brand.

Top Bottom