Figuring out groupsets on whole bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Shimano sell all the other bits as part of the group set, so by their own word they're part of the group set. An Ultegra seat post is about £75, so its fairly competitive with a decent one from elsewhere. My 105 post was £40.

Of course, one of the joys of cycling is that one can build their bike how they like, but if they don't have the hubs, QRs, seat post, and all the other tinsel, then but by definition they don't have a full group set. Most riders habe come to consider just the gears, and perhaps the chainset and BB, as a full group set, while forgetting all the other bits that Shimano sell as part of the complete gruppo.

I guess the situation is more complex with SRAM, where a chain set may be branded as Truvativ, and their brakes as Avid.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The OP is looking at hybrids not roadbikes, although similar rules probably apply

winjim

Smash the cistern
Shimano sell all the other bits as part of the group set, so by their own word they're part of the group set. An Ultegra seat post is about £75, so its fairly competitive with a decent one from elsewhere. My 105 post was £40.
Campagnolo used to even do Chorus and Record level bottle cages. Their groupsets now seem to just be gear and brakesets although they still do Record hubs, pedals and headsets. I assume the reason they don't do other groupset level hubs is because they have a pretty thriving wheelset business anyway.

Come to think of it, my Bianchi was sold as Xenon/Veloce. It had Xenon rear mech and shifters, Veloce front mech. Everything else was Miche / FSA / Tektro, so only actually three Campagnolo components.

Drago

Legendary Member
And its a Miche freehub too!

gbb

Legendary Member
Get a bike from Ribble? The custom builds have a complete groupset IIRC.
As an example, I was looking to replace my Bianchi a few years ago (but the same will hold true now)...I liked a newer model Bianchi, alloy frame, mix of Campag and modest / low quality FSA transmission...cost IRO £1200 at the time.

For the same money I got full carbon framed Ribble with full Campag Veloce groupset and carbon bars, stem and seatpost. Brilliant bike still enjoy owning it now.

Top Bottom