Filling small holes in tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've noticed small holes in my schwalbe (puncture protection)tyres, maybe from bits of glass etc, but is there anything you can use to stop other road bits and pieces working there way in? Bit of tyre filler? :laugh:

Ok to carry on using or would you swap for new?

Goldfang

Years ago you could get something called Tubtac that you could repair holes and cuts in tubular/sprint tyres. It looked a bit like pitch/tar and you melted it and it ran in to the hole and set. It has probably not been available for years. There is a product advertised in the newspapers that comes in a tube and is for repairing holes/cracks in the soles of shoes, wonder if this would work? It is a similar sort of problem to my mind.
Regards, Goldfang.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I carry on using them, otherwise I'd be buying tyres every few weeks. I'd only replace if the tyre had a big cut (big enough to cause the tyre to bulge)

I just pick out the bits from time to time. I don't puncture very often.

purplepolly

I replaced my schwalbe big apple tyres (with puncture protection) today as they were getting worn. There's load of holes in them and I've picked quite a few bits out but they've only had a couple of punctures. Just stick with them and check them regularly for glass and thorns, especially if you're using cyclepaths or riding in urban areas.

MGBLemonrider

I was wondering this very same thing having pulled a nice mini arrowhead of "flint" out, could you fill/repair the hole it came out of. I seem to have collected a fair few holes/splits over the last couple of months, since I've taken cycling up again
In my motorcycle puncture repair kit there is a tube of "gunk" that you use before inserting the "mushroom", or you've got the normal rubber solution in a normal cycle puncture repair kit, that could be injected using hypodermic etc.
Would this actual work, Do splits catch and drag in other bits of "flint".
I then imagined being subjected to drugs searches having been found in possession of needles etc
As most things these will remain hypothetical musings.
Unless you know better.

purplepolly

MGBLemonrider said:
I then imagined being subjected to drugs searches having been found in possession of needles etc.

That's the least of our worries. The average commuter, when stopped and searched by the police, will be found to have in their possession a pair of latex gloves and a brace of cable ties. Now, what's a policeman to make of that?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
When I was new to running slicks, I used to occasionally go round the tyre and dig out the wee splinters of glass that accumulate, but I give up a few years ago as it doesn't seem to make much difference. Besides I have better things to do with my time. I have ridden the best part of 2,000 miles on my current set of tyres and, so far, nothing has penetrated through the tyre. So my advice is don't worry, be happy, enjoy the ride... ;)

OP
OP
semislickstick
Thanks, probably right, I'll keep going with them, I'll try a bit of puncture glue to see if that stops the holes picking up road rubbish. I'm very impressed with the tyres, they are a good few years old and only two punctures and that was down to big slithers of glass, maybe if I'd had them pumped high enough that wouldn't have been a problem either. ?

jmaccyd

Superglue?

Twanger

Über Member
HJ said:
When I was new to running slicks, I used to occasionally go round the tyre and dig out the wee splinters of glass that accumulate, but I give up a few years ago as it doesn't seem to make much difference. Besides I have better things to do with my time. I have ridden the best part of 2,000 miles on my current set of tyres and, so far, nothing has penetrated through the tyre. So my advice is don't worry, be happy, enjoy the ride... :smile:

Every puncture I have had has been due to those glassy flinty bits sticking and working their way through the tyre. Since I have been hoicking them out every week my punctures have stopped. My tyres are not kevlared, though when I replace them (when the rear tread runs out, I guess) I will go for more prttection.

Top Bottom